- "This book explores the ways in which translation deals with sexual and textual undecidability, adopting an interdisciplinary approach bridging translation, transgender studies, and queer studies in analyzing the translations of six texts in English, French, and Spanish labelled as 'trans.' Rose draws on experimental translation methods, such as the use of the palimpsest, and builds on theory from areas such as philosophy, linguistics, queer studies, and transgender studies and the work of such thinkers as Derrida and Deleuze, to encourage critical thinking around how all texts and trans texts specifically work to be queer and how queerness in translation might be celebrated. These texts illustrate the ways in which their authors play language games and how such games can be translated between languages that use gender in different ways and the subsequent implications for our understanding of the act of translation and how we present our gender identity or identities. In showing what translation and transgender identity can learn from one another, Rose lays the foundation for future directions for research into the translation of trans identity, making this book key reading for scholars in translation studies, transgender studies, and queer studies"-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- The history of (trans)gender
- Close readings of transgender texts
- The Palimpsest
- The history of intersex
- Close readings of intersex texts
- The hypertext
- The history of agender
- Close readings of agender texts
- The lipogram and the cut-out technique
- Conclusion: an open ending.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Emily Rose finished her PhD on Translating Trans Identity at the University of East Anglia in 2018. Her work has been published in Transgender Studies Quarterly (volume 3 (3-4) and volume 6 (3)), Queer in Translatio and Untranslatability: an Interdisciplinary Perspective, a volume she also co-edited. She currently teaches MFL at a preparatory school in Norfolk.
Description based on: Online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on April 08, 2021).
- 1 online resource (xiii, 199 pages) : illustrations.
- text file
- P306.97.T83 R67 2021eb
- 9780367369972 (electronic book)
0367369974 (electronic book)
9781000365429 (electronic bk., PDF)
1000365425 (electronic bk., PDF)
9781000365436 (electronic bk., EPUB)
1000365433 (electronic bk., EPUB)
9780367369965 (hardcover) [Invalid]
9780367744748 (paperback) [Invalid]