- "As more people travel the world than ever before, smaller communities have a unique opportunity to develop creative, culturally sustainable tourist industries that provide unparalleled experiences for visitors. Tourists are travelling the world in greater numbers than ever before, seeking immersive cultural experiences. This massive rise of tourism has raised issues of social and cultural sustainability in the world́ђةs global cities. At the same time, smaller cities and rural communities struggling with increasing urbanization and the loss of traditional industries could benefit from increased tourism. Smaller cities and communities are uniquely well-suited to hosting tourists seeking authentic connection with local cultures. Locally led, collaborative efforts to build creative tourism industries have the possibility to reinvigorate struggling communities. Creative tourism offers the opportunity to build socially and culturally sustainable channels for growth that benefit locals and visitors alike. Creative Tourism in Smaller Communities examines the processes, policies, and methodologies of creative tourism, paying special attention to the ways creative and place-based tourism can aid sustainable cultural development. With topics ranging from placemaking through food to the cultural impacts of cruise travel, and from catalyzing creative tourism to creating resiliency, this collection offers a wide range of theoretical and practical perspectives from a variety of experts. Creative Tourism in Smaller Communities offers a bold vision for the future of tourism worldwide."-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Catalyzing Creative Tourism in Small Cities and Rural Areas in Portugal: The CREATOUR Approach / Nancy Duxbury
- 2. Interplay between Culture, Creativity, and Tourism in the Sustainable Development of Smaller Urban Centres / Elisabete Caldeira Neto Tomaz
- 3. Role of Cultural Festivals in Regional Economic Development: A Case Study of Mahika Mahikeng / Fiona Drummond
- 4. Creative Yukon: Finding Data to Tell the Cultural Economy Story / Suzanne de la Barre
- 5. When Our Ship Comes In: The Cultural Impact of Cruise Tourism on Northern Canadian Communities / M. Sharon Jeannotte
- 6. Creative Tourism: The Path to a Resilient Rural Icelandic Community / Georgette Leah Burns
- 7. Placemaking through Food: Co-creating the Tourist Experience / Susan L. Slocum
- 8. Literary Atlas: A Digital Resource for Creative Tourism in Wales / Jeffrey Morgan
- 9. Creative Tourism Opportunities through Film and Tourism Industry Collaboration / Eugene Thomlinson
- 10. Art Worlds in the Periphery: Creativity and Networking in Rural Scandinavia / Dimitri Ioannides.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- G155.A1 C743 2021eb
- 9781773851907 (electronic bk.)
177385190X (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC6551402 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp302067466