- As digital humanities has expanded in scope and content, questions of how to negotiate the overlapping influences of race, class, gender, sexuality, nation, and other dimensions that shape data, archives, and methodologies have come to the fore. Taking up these concerns, the authors in this volume explore their effects on the methodological, political, and ethical practices of digital humanities.
Table of Contents:
- Cover; Half-title; Series Information; Title page; Dedication; Copyright information; Table of contents; Illustrations; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Chapter 1. All the Digital Humanists Are White, All the Nerds Are Men, but Some of Us Are Brave; Chapter 2. Beyond the Margins; Introduction; The Lessons of Theory; Toward an Intersectional Digital Humanities; Conclusion; Chapter 3. You Build the Roads, We Are the Intersections; Choosing Leaders; Intelligence and Personality Traits; Deconstruction; Chapter 4. Digital Humanities, Intersectionality, and the Ethics of Harm
- Digital Humanities and Ethics of HarmDigital Data, IRB, Academic Research, and Intersectionality; Case 1: Portland State University and the Portland Public Schools; Case 2: Facebook, Cambridge Analytica, Mercers, and the Weaponization of Intersectionality; Chapter 5. Walking Alone Online; Background; The Importance of Gamergate; Zoe Quinn and Depression Quest; Being Online; The Day I Asked Questions; The Trolls; Why Do They Do It?; Trolling Celebrities on Social Media; The Violence Affecting Us; Amanda Gailey; Dorothy Kim; Conclusions; Chapter 6. Ready Player Two; Introduction
- Definitions and PrivilegeGamergate; "MikeeUSA": Feminism, Bigotry, and Freedom of Speech in the Hacker Community; Rise of the "Brogrammer"; Conclusion: Change Is Happening; Chapter 7. Gender, Feminism, Textual Scholarship, and Digital Humanities; Chapter 8. Faulty, Clumsy, Negligible?; Women Letter-Writing Under Men's Criticism; Early Modern Concepts of Women's Education; A Digital Annotated Corpus of Women's Correspondence; Gender-Specific Language Use: Some Analysis Examples; Chapter 9. Intersectionality in Digital Archives; Situating the Author; Introduction
- At the Intersection: The Digital Archive as a Model of an ArchivesMarginalized Voices in the Archives and the Digital Turn; Intersectionality as a Digital Humanities Approach for Archival Silences; Case Study: Processing and Digitizing the Barbados Synagogue Restoration Project Records; Intersectional Identities in BSRP; Intersectionality of the Synagogue Historic District: Communities Inhabiting the Place; Analysis; Mapping Out Intersecting Lives; Beyond Documents: "Unearthing" Intersecting Stories; Intentionality: Overcoming Archival Silences in Marginalized Populations
- "Reading" the BSRP Digital ArchiveDiscussion and Recommendations; Map Out Intersecting Lives in Advance; Go beyond Documents; Seek Community; Be Intentional When Pursuing Intersectionality; "Read" the Digital as One Part of the Story; Conclusion; Chapter 10. Accessioning Digital Content and the Unwitting Move toward Intersectionality in the Archive; Introduction; A Note on Terminology; Intersectionality and the Archive; Identity; Power; Marginalization; The Community Archive; Case Studies; Accessions and the Digital; Intersectionality; Conclusions; Chapter 11. All along the Watchtower
- In English.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on December 23, 2019).
- 1 online resource (x, 197 pages).
- text file
- AZ105 .I58 2019eb
- 9781641890519 (electronic book)
1641890517 (electronic book)
Other Standard Numbers:
- Digital Object Identifier: 10.1515/9781641890519.