- "This is the only book that systematically examines transgender sex work in the United States and globally. Bringing together perspectives from a rich range of disciplines and experiences, it is an invaluable resource on issues related to commercial sex in the transgender community and in the lives of trans sex workers, including mental health, substance use, relationship dynamics, encounters with the criminal justice system, and opportunities and challenges in the realm of public health. The volume covers trans sex workers' interactions with health, social service, and mental-health agencies, featuring more than forty contributors from across the globe. Synthesizing introductions by the editor help organize and put into context a vast and scattered research and empirical literature. The book is essential for researchers, health practitioners, and policy analysts in the areas of sex-work research, HIV/AIDS, and LGBTQ/gender studies."--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- Foreword / Walter Bockting
- Introduction: Toward a better understanding of transgender sex work / Larry A. Nuttbrock
- Section I. Empirical Descriptions and a Conceptual Formulation for Sex Work among Transwomen in the United States. Qualitative description of sex work among transwomen in New York City / Sel J. Hwahng ; Quantitative description of sex work among transwomen in New York City / Larry A. Nuttbrock ; Why are so many transwomen in the sex trade, and why are so many of them ethnic minorities? / Larry A. Nuttbrock and Sel J. Hwahng
- Section II. Survival sex among Young Transgender Persons in the United States and the United Kingdom. Compound harms: what the literature says about survival sex among young trans people in the United Kingdom and the United States / Lorna C. Barton
- Section III. Personal Relationships and Health Risk Behavior. Relationship dynamics and health risk behavior among transwomen and their cisgender male partners / Tiffany R. Glynn and Don Operario
- Section IV. Mental Health and Substance Use Issues among Transwomen in the Sex Trade. Mental health and transphobia among transwomen sex workers: application and extension of minority stress models / Don Operario, Tiffany R. Glynn, and Tooru Nemoto ; Sex work and major depression among transwomen in New York City: mediating effects of gender abuse and substance use / Larry A. Nuttbrock ; Substance use among transgender sex workers / Beth R. Hoffman
- Section V. HIV among Transwomen in the Sex Trade. The prevalence of HIV among transwomen sex workers: a review of current literature / Ayden I. Scheim, Laura Winters, Zack Marshall, Daze Jefferies, and Stefan D. Baral ; HIV and substance use among transwomen sex workers: a vicious cycle of socioeconomic hardship, unmet service needs, and health risk / Tiffany Glynn, Don Operario, and Tooru Nemoto ; Sex work, high-risk sexual behavior, and incident HIV/STI among transwomen in New York City: a study of mediating factors / Larry A. Nuttbrock ; Sex work and antiretroviral therapy among transwomen of color living with HIV in New York City / Larry A. Nuttbrock
- Section VI. Transgender Sex Work in Different Cultural Settings. Sex work in Turkey: experiences of transwomen / Ceylan Engin ; Hijras/transwomen and sex work in India: from marginalization to social protection / Venkatesan Chakrapani, Peter A. Newman, and Ernest Noronha ; Transgender sex work in Brazil: historico-cultural perspectives / Don Kulick ; The changing landscape of transgender sex work, pimping, and trafficking in Brazil / Barry M. Wolfe ; Sociocultural context of sex work among Mak Nyah (transgender women) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / Tooru Nemoto, Rebecca de Guzman, Yik Koon Teh, Mariko Iwamoto, and Karen Trocki ; Sociocultural context of health among Kathoey (transwomen) and female sex workers in Bangkok, Thailand / Tooru Nemoto, Usaneya Perngparn, Chitlada Areesantichai, Mariko Iwamato, Charlene Bumanglag, and Julia Moore ; Transgender sex work in the Andean region: between vulnerability and resilience / Ximena Salazar, Aron Núnez-Curto, Angélica Motta, and Carlos F. Cáceres ; Transgender sex work in Spain: psychosocial profile and mental health / Rafael Ballester-Arnal, Maria Dolores Gil-Llario, Jesús Castro-Calvo, Trinidad Bergero-Miguel, and José Guzmán-Parra ; Prevalence and associated factors of condomless receptive anal intercourse with male clients among transwomen sex workers in Shenyang, China / Zixin Wang, Joseph T. F. Lau, Yong Cai, Jinghua Li, Tiecheng Ma, and Yan Liu
- Section VII. Care and Treatment of Transgender Sex Workers. Issues in the care and treatment of transwomen sex workers / Asa Radix and Zil Goldstein
- Section VIII. Criminal Justice Versus Public Health Perspectives on Transgender Sex Work. Police abuse, depressive symptoms, and high-risk sexual behavior for HIV among transwomen / Larry A. Nuttbrock ; Criminal justice versus health and human rights perspectives on transgender sex work / Tara Lyons, Leslie Pierre, Andrea Krüsi, and Kate Shannon
- Section IX. Analytic Summary and Directions for Further Study. Analytic summary and directions for further study / Walter Bockting and Larry A. Nuttbrock.
- Item content: English
- Includes glossary.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Online resource; title from digital title page (ProQuest Ebook Central, viewed December 13, 2019).
- 1 online resource (xviii, 474 pages) : illustrations
- text file
- HQ115 .T73 2018eeb
- 9781939594235 (electronic bk.)
1939594235 (electronic bk.)
9781939594228 (hardcover) [Invalid]
1939594227 (hardcover) [Invalid]
9781939594402 (paperback) [Invalid]
1939594405 (paperback) [Invalid]