- Abstract: This handbook examines policy and practice from around the world with respect to broadly conceived notions of inclusion and diversity within education.
Table of Contents:
- List of figures
- List of tables
- Notes on the editors and contributors
- Introduction: scholarship for diversity and inclusion in education in the 21st century / Matthew J. Schuelka, Christopher J. Johnstone, Gary Thomas and Alfredo J. Artiles
- Part I: Conceptualizations and possibilities of inclusion and diversity in education: 1. Not dead yet? / Julie Allan and Roger Slee; 2. A sociology of special and inclusive education / Sally Tomlinson; 3. Unsettling 'inclusion' in the global south: a post-colonial and intersectional approach to disability, gender, and education / Xuan Thuy Nguyen; 4. Dewey and philosophy of inclusion / Scot Danforth; 5. Pursuing 'radical inclusion' within an era of neoliberal educational reform / Jessica K. Bacon; 6. Psychological inclusion: considering students ' feelings of belongingness and the benefits for academic achievement / Alisha M. B. Braun; 7. Human rights, inclusive education and inter-cultural competence / Derrick Armstrong and Ann Cheryl Armstrong; 8. Sociocultural perspectives on curriculum, pedagogy and assessment: implications for participation, belonging and building inclusive schools and classrooms / Missy Morton, Anne-Marie McIlroy and Annie Guerin; 9. Gender, poverty and educational equality / Amy North and Helen Longlands; 10. Inclusive education as global development policy / Paula Frederica Hunt
- Part II. Inclusion and diversity in educational practices, policies and systems: 11. Equity and inclusivity in education / Allyson Satter, Jessica Meisenheimer and Wayne Sailor; 12. A sentimental education: insights for inclusive reform from a university/school district partnership / Deborah J. Gallagher, Amy J. Petersen, Danielle M. Cowley and Shehreen Iqtadar; 13. Culturally cognizant research and culturally sustaining practice: promoting authentic inclusive classrooms for diverse learners / David J. Connor, Beth A. Ferri, Layla M. Dehaiman and Louis Olander; 14. Cross-pollinating culturally sustaining pedagogy and universal design for learning: toward an inclusive pedagogy that accounts for dis-ability / Federico R. Waitoller and Kathleen A. King Thorius; 15. Effective use of teacher assistants in inclusive classrooms / Ritu V. Chopra and Michael F. Giangreco; 16. Building 'restorative relationships': an actionable, practice-based model of inclusive school practice / Michal Razer and Victor J. Friedman; 17. Supporting gender and sexual diversity in schools: teachers' perspectives, challenges, and possibilities / Elizabeth J. Meyer; 18. Financing inclusive education to reduce disparity in education: trends, issues and drivers / Serge Ebersold, Amanda Watkins, Edda Oskarsdottir and Cor J. W. Meijer; 19. Adapting education management information systems to support inclusive education / Daniel Mont and Beth Sprunt; 20. Fostering inclusive and culturally responsive family-professional partnerships / Colby T. Kervick, Katharine G. Shepherd and Shana J. Haines;
- 21. Culturally responsive teaching with Latino English learners with mathematics learning disabilities / Naheed A. Abdulrahim and Michael J. Orosco; 22. Including students with severe disabilities in general education and the potential of universal design for learning for all children / Bree A. Jimenez and Melissa E. Hudson; 23. Multi-disciplinary practice and inclusive education / Sue Soan; 24. Teaching diverse learners in Europe: inspiring practices and lessons learned from Germany, Iceland, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Spain and Sweden / Justin J. W. Powell, Kerstin Merz-Atalik, Stefanija Alisauskiene, Michelle Brendel, Gerardo Echeita Sarrionandia, Hafdis Gudjonsdottir, Johanna Karlsdottir, Lina Milteniene, Rita Meliene, Edda Oskarsdottir, Bengt Persson, Elisabeth Persson, Cecilia Simon Rueda, Marta Sandoval, Anneli Schwartz, Heike Tiemann and Katja Weber; 25. Teacher professionalism, teacher agency, and student resilience in Chinese inclusive education: a sociological perspective - Guanglun Michael Mu; 26. Long overdue: inclusive college for students with intellectual disabilities / Kagendo Mutua, Amy Williamson, John Myrick, Jim Siders and Dongjin Kwon
- Part III. Inclusion and diversity in global and local educational contexts: 27. Diversity and inclusion in the classroom: young immigrants' perspectives in France and England Oakleigh Welply; 28. The experience of inclusion in Danish schools - between politicization and pedagogical ideals / Thomas Thyrring Engsig; 29. Opening doors and mediating practices: working toward inclusion in Tajikistan / Kate Lapham; 30. Gender, ethnicity and disability: approaching inclusivity in Myanmar's education reforms? / Elizabeth J. T. Maber and Khin Mar Aung; 31. Ways of knowing inclusion and diversity: jumping off the one-way track to see indigenous student behaviour / Anthony McKnight, Carol Speechley and Samantha McMahon; 32. Possibilities and challenges of inclusive education in Brazil: understanding the role of socioeconomic factors / Fernanda T. Orsati, Rosane Lowenthal and Carolina C. Nikaedo; 33. Implications for teacher training and support for inclusive education: empirical evidence from Cambodia / Diana Kartika and Kazuo Kuroda; 34. 'To educate for them in different ways' : defining inclusion in popular and intercultural education in Argentina and Peru / Laura A. Valdiviezo and Jennifer Lee O'Donnell; 35. Inclusive and special education and the question of equity in education: the case of Finland / Juho Honkasilta, Raisa Ahtiainen, Ninja Hienonen and Markku Jahnukainen;
- 36. Contextual influences on inclusivity: the Singapore experience / Levan Lim, Thana Thaver and Vasilis Strogilos; 37. The evolution of inclusive education in Mexico: policy, settings, achievements and perspectives / Silvia Romero-Contreras, Ismael Garcia-Cedillo and Todd V. Fletcher; 38. RtI in the challenging context of the Republic of Mauritius / Anick Tolbize; 39. Saying NO to niceness: innovative, progressive and transformative inclusive education with Australian Aboriginal students / Sheelagh Daniels-Mayes, Valerie Harwood and Nyssa Murray; 40. Unheard voices: schooling experiences of parents having children with disabilities in India / Sandhya Limaye; 41. Diversifying inclusion: perceptions of inclusive education amongst indigenous families in Quito, Ecuador / Hannah Wagner, Maria Dolores Lasso and Todd V Fletcher.
- Item content: English
- "SAGE reference"
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on title page of print version.
- 1 online resource (50 entries) : 33 images.
- LC1200 .S244 2019eb
- 9781787857360 (electronic version)
Other Control Numbers:
- gtp00568603 (source: CaBNVSL)
sageukiade2019 (source: Credo)
[Unknown Type]: Credo9781787857360