- Abstract: Transgender and Gender Diverse Persons offers mental health professionals and other caregivers information and best practices for working with transgender and gender diverse persons and their families. In each chapter, experts from a variety of fields provide an accessible introduction to medical, legal, educational, and spiritual care for transgender and gender diverse adults and youth within a range of contexts, including communities and schools in urban and non-urban settings. Appendices include helpful suggestions for online resources, as well as additional reading for practitioners, clients, and their families. With rich examples and personal narratives woven throughout, this is an essential reference for mental health professionals, as well as other service providers, educators, and family members seeking to address the needs of transgender and gender diverse persons in an up-to-date, inclusive manner.
Table of Contents:
- Cover; Half Title; Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Table of Contents; Editor Biographies; Notes on Contributors; Acknowledgments; Introduction; CHAPTER 1 What We Know About Transgender and Gender Diverse Persons; Biological Sex and Gender; Frequently Used Terms Associated with Gender Diversity; Some Important Historical Events Related to Gender Identity; Living an Authentic Life; References; CHAPTER 2 Experiences of Transgender and Gender Diverse Persons; Growing Up Transgender and Gender Diverse; Strugles with and Suport from Families; Experiences within Schools; Higher Education
- Faith CommunitiesWork and Career Contexts; Intersecting Identities; Strengths and Resilience; Health and Mental Health Care; Law Enforcement; The General Public; The LGBTQQI Community; The Importance of Community Building; Developing Further Understanding and Empathy; Note; References; CHAPTER 3 Gender Diversity in Non-urban Settings; What Makes Non-Urban Areas Unique?; So What Can I Do?; What is Intersectionality and How Does It Apply to Gender Diverse People?; Intersections with Non-Urban Settings; Making a Positive Difference; References
- CHAPTER 4 An Introduction to the Medical and Surgical Care of Transgender PersonsHormonal Therapy; Gender-Affirming Surgeries; Keeping Up With Improvements; References; CHAPTER 5 Transgender Politics: The Civil Rights of Transgender Persons; Transgender Lives Before the Movement: the 1800s to the 1950s; Unprincipled Exclusions and the Birth of a Movement: the 1960s to the 1990s; Increased Visibility, Contested Rights: the 2000s to the 2010s; Eyes on the Prize: Transgender Rights at the Supreme Court; A Movement Alive and Evolving; Table of Cases; References
- CHAPTER 6 Integrative and Ethical Mental Health Care of Transgender and Gender Diverse AdultsQualifications and Roles; Sources of Information and Training; Basic Information on Assessment and Treatment; Overview of Assessment and Management; Assessment/Documentation/Letters; Counseling and Therapy; Other Roles; Ethical Practice; Challenges and Opportunities; References; CHAPTER 7 Helping Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth; A Way to Think about a Child's Gender Development: The Gender Web; The Rainbow, the Orchard, and the Gender Web; Three Major Treatment Models
- Finding the Children in TranslationTransitions: Social and Medical; Becoming the Mirror You Always Wanted to Be; References; CHAPTER 8 Families of Transgender and Gender Diverse Persons; Parents; Siblings; Extended Family; Spouses and Children of Transgender and Gender Diverse Adults; Counseling and Support; Intersecting Identities; Adaptability and Resilience; References; CHAPTER 9 Cultivating a Suportive School Climate for Transgender and Gender Diverse Students; Understanding Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth; Discrimination, Harassment, and Violence
- Item content: English
- Description based on: Print version record.
Effects of Non-Supportive School Environments
- 1 online resource (239 pages)
- text file
- HQ77.9 .C375 2018eb