- This is the first introductory text/reader for trans, transgender, or trans* studies at all levels, from first year to graduate coursework. It can be used in programs and courses ranging from major courses to electives in LGBT/queer studies, feminist/gender studies, and other allied disciplines.
"This is the first introductory textbook intended for transgender/trans studies at the undergraduate level. The book can also be used for related courses in LGBTQ, queer, and gender/feminist studies. It encompasses and connects global contexts, intersecting identities, historic and contemporary issues, literature, history, politics, art, and culture."--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- Sex and gender: stories and definitions
- Sexual orientation: stories and definitions
- Modern sexology: the science of objectification, or the science of empowerment?
- Direct action, collective histories, and collective activism: what a riot!
- Navigating binary spaces: bathrooms, schools, sports
- navigating government documents, work, and healthcare: I'll need to see some I.D. with that
- Global gender diversity throughout the ages: we have always been with you
- Four historical figures who cross-dressed: the adventurer, the ambassador, the surgeon, and the seamstress
- Cross-dressing and political protest: parasols and pitchforks
- Gender diversity in artifacts, art, icons, and legends from antiquity to the Middle Ages: classically trans
- Trans literature, performing arts, music, and visual arts: the art of resistance, the art of empowerment
- The importance of archives: hearing our own voices.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Online resource; title from digital title page (ProQuest Ebook Central, viewed December 13, 2019).
- 1 online resource (xxix, 477 pages) : illustrations
- text file
- HQ77.9 .T496 2019eeb
- 9781939594280 (electronic book)
1939594286 (electronic book)
9781939594273 (paperback) [Invalid]
1939594278 (paperback) [Invalid]
Library of Congress Control Numbers: