- "Cognitive Disability Aesthetics explores the invisibility of cognitive disability in theoretical, historical, social, and cultural contexts. Benjamin Fraser's cutting edge research and analysis signals a second-wave in disability studies that prioritizes cognition. Fraser expands upon previous research into physical disability representations and focuses on those disabilities that tend to be least visible in society (autism, Down syndrome, Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia). Moving beyond established literary approaches analyzing prose representations of disability, the book explores how iconic and indexical modes of signification operate in visual texts. Taking on cognitive disability representations in a range of visual media (painting, cinema, and graphic novels), Fraser showcases the value of returning to impairment discourse. Cognitive Disability Aesthetics successfully reconfigures disability studies in the humanities and exposes the chasm that exists between Anglophone disability studies and disability studies in the Hispanic world."-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- On the (In)visibility of cognitive disability
- Signification and staring: icon, index, and symbol in visual media
- Disability scholarship at the seam: the materiality of visual narrative
- Visualizing down syndrome and autism: the Trazos Singulares (Singular Strokes) (2011) exhibition and María cumple 20 años (Maria Turns Twenty) (2015)
- Sequencing Alzheimer's dementia: Paco Roca's graphic novel Arrugas (Wrinkles) (2008)
- Screening schizophrenia: documentary cinema, cognitive disability, and Abel García Roure's Una cierta verdad (A Certain Truth).
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-257) and index.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
This work is licensed by Knowledge Unlatched under a Creative Commons license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (xvii, 267 pages) : illustrations.
- text file
- HV1568.2 .F737 2018eb
- 9781487515119 (electronic bk.)
1487515111 (electronic bk.)
9781487502331 (hardcover) [Invalid]
1487502338 (hardcover) [Invalid]