- "This book reveals the decorative seams, refined stitching, voluptuous drapery, strict corseting, slashing, and stamping that make up some of the garments in the Victoria and Albert Museum's superlative fashion collection. With an authoritative text, exquisite color photography of garment details, and line drawings showing the complete construction of each piece, the reader has the unique opportunity to examine up close historical clothing that is often too fragile to be on display. It is an inspirational resource for students, collectors, designers, and anyone who is fascinated by fashion and clothing.This new edition features an updated design, improved navigation, a comprehensive index, and an introduction that sets the examples in full historical context."-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- 1. Pleats, gathers and looped drapery
- 2. Collars, cuffs and pockets
- 3. Stitching and quilting
- 4. Lace and whitework
- 5. Embroidery
- 6. Pastes, foils and beads
- 7. Chintz and painting
- 8. Pinking and punching
- 9. Fringes, ribbons, tassels and buttons
- 10. Fur, feathers and straw.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 220-221) and index.
"First published in the United Kingdom in 1998 by Victoria and Albert Museum, London"--Title page verso.
"This revised and expanded edition first published in 2018 by Thames & Hudson [...] in association with the Victoria and Albert Museum, London."--Title page verso.
"Design and layout © 2018 Thames & Hudson Ltd."--Title page verso.
- 224 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 29 cm.
- GT736 .N67 2018
- 9780500292631 (paperback)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: