- The Handbook of Rhetoric and Public Address is a state-of-the-art companion to the field that showcases both the historical traditions and the future possibilities for public address scholarship in the twenty-first century.: Focuses on public address as both a subject matter and a critical perspective; Mindful of the connections between the study of public address and the history of ideas; Provides an historical overview of public address research and pedagogy, as well as a reassessment of contemporary public address scholarship by those most engaged in its practice; Includes in-depth discussi.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Shawn J. Parry-Giles and J. Michael Hogan
- pt. 1: The history and prospects of rhetoric and public address. The history of public address as an academic study / Martin J. Medhurst
- Public address scholarship in the new century: achievements and challenges / David Zarefsky
- Rhetorical criticism 2009: a study in method / Karlyn Kohrs Campbell
- pt. 2: Basic research in rhetoric and public address. Textual recovery, textual discovery: returning to our past, imagining our future / Davis W. Houck
- The processes and challenges of textual authentication / Robert N. Gaines
- Archival research and the American presidency: the political and rhetorical complexities of presidential records / Shawn J. Parry-Giles
- From recovering women's words to documenting gender constructs: archival research in the twenty-first century / Susan Zaeske and Sarah Jedd
- pt. 3: Text and context in rhetoric and public address. The racial contexts of public address: interpreting violence during the Reconstruction Era / Kirt H. Wilson
- Lilies and lavatory paper: the public and the private in British suffrage archives / Cheryl R. Jorgensen-Earp
- Studying visual modes of public address: Lewis Hine's Progressive-era child labor rhetoric / Cara A. Finnegan
- Theory and public address: the allusive Mr. Bush / John M. Murphy
- pt. 4: Questions of effect in rhetoric and public address. Jimmy Carter, human rights, and instrumental effects of presidential rhetoric / Mary E. Stuckey
- Analyzing constitutive rhetorics: the Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions and the "Principles of '98" / James Jasinski and Jennifer R. Mercieca
- pt. 5: The politics of rhetoric and public address. Feminism and public address research: television news and the constitution of women's liberation / Bonnie J. Dow
- The problem of race in public address research: W.E.B. Du Bois and the conflicted aesthetics of race / Eric King Watts
- Sexuality and public address: rhetorical pasts, queer theory, and Abraham Lincoln / Charles E. Morris III
- Public address and the revival of American civic culture / J. Michael Hogan.
- Item content: English
- Rhetorical criticism
Speeches, addresses, etc. > History and criticism > Theory, etc.
Speeches, addresses, etc., American > History and criticism
English language > Rhetoric > Research > Methodology
Speeches, addresses, etc.
Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (xv, 478 pages) : illustrations.
- text file
- PN4096 .H36 2010eb
9781444324112 (electronic bk.)
144432411X (electronic bk.)
9781405178136 (hbk.) [Invalid]
Other Standard Numbers:
- Digital Object Identifier: 10.1002/9781444324105