- "Cosplay, short for 'costume play', has grown from its origins at fan conventions into a billion-dollar global dress phenomenon. Costuming Cosplay takes us from elaborately crafted DIY costumes to online fandoms, examining how the practice of portraying fictional characters from popular culture through dress and performance has become a creative means of expressing and playing with different identities. With an approach that ranges from admiration and role-play to gender performance, this is the first book to fully examine the subculture and costume of the Cosplay phenomenon. Drawing on extensive first-hand research at conventions across North America and Asia, Ther sa M. Winge invites us to explore how Cosplay functions as a meritocracy of creativity, escapism, and disguise, and offers a creative realm in which fantasy and new forms of socializing carry as much importance as costume. Illustrated with color photographs of both celebrity and amateur Cosplayers, Costuming Cosplay is essential reading for students and scholars of fashion and costume, popular culture, anthropology, gender, and media studies, as well as global players and fans of Cosplay"--Bloomsbury Fashion Central.
Table of Contents:
- Table of Contents: Chapter 1: Cosplay
- Chapter 2: Cosplay subculture
- Chapter 3: Dressing the part
- Chapter 4: Cosplay is a way of life
- Chapter 5: Girl power
- Chapter 6: Cosplay worlds.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Previously issued in print: Bloomsbury Visual Arts 2018. Digital resource published 2019.
Compliant with Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. Content is displayed as HTML full text which can easily be resized or read with assistive technology, with mark-up that allows screen readers and keyboard-only users to navigate easily.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on August 20, 2019)
- 1 online resource (xi, 202 pages) : illustrations (some colour)
- GV1201.8 .W56 2019eb
- 9781350035904 (hardback) [Invalid]
9781350035911 (paperback) [Invalid]
9781350035928 (epdf) [Invalid]
Other Standard Numbers:
- 10.5040/9781350035935 (source: None)
Other Control Numbers:
- [Unknown Type]: 1114282885
[Unknown Type]: bfl000065948220