- "Attitudes to fashion have changed radically in the twenty-first century. Dress is increasingly approached as a means of self-expression, rather than as a signifier of status or profession, and designers are increasingly treated as 'artists', as fashion moves towards art and enters the gallery, museum, and retail space. This book is the first to fully explore the causes and implications of this shift, examining the impact of technological innovation, globalization, and the growth of the internet. The End of Fashion focuses on the ways in which our understanding of fashion and the fashion system have transformed as mass mediation and digitization continue to broaden the way that contemporary fashion is perceived and consumed. Exploring everything from the rise of online shopping to the emergence of bloggers as power elites who have revolutionized the terrain of traditional fashion reportage, this volume anatomizes a world in which runway shows now compete with live-streaming, digital fashion films, Instagram, and Pinterest. Bringing together original, cutting-edge contributions from leading international scholars, this book is essential reading for students and scholars of fashion and cultural studies, as well as anyone interested in exploring the dramatic shifts that have shaken the fashion world this century - and what they might say about larger changes within an increasingly global and digital society"--Bloomsbury Fashion Central.
Table of Contents:
- Table of Contents: List of Contributors
- Chapter 1. Fashion Futures / Valerie Steele
- Chapter 2. Time and Memory / Adam Geczy and Vicki Karaminas
- Chapter 3. Fashionscapes / Patrizia Calefato
- Chapter 4. Photography and the Body / Olga Vainshtein
- Chapter 5. Celebrity / Pamela Church Gibson
- Chapter 6. Cinema / Hilary Radner
- Chapter 7. Mediation and Digital Retail / Agn s Rocamora
- Chapter 8. Sustainability and Digitalization / Sandy Black
- Chapter 9. Globalization / Jennifer Craik
- Chapter 10. Production and Manufacture / V ronique Pouillard
- Chapter 11. Curation and Exhibition / Hazel Clark.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Also issued in print: Bloomsbury Visual Arts 2019.
Compliant with Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. Content is displayed as HTML full text which can easily be resized or read with assistive technology, with mark-up that allows screen readers and keyboard-only users to navigate easily.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on August 20, 2019)
- 1 online resource (xiv, 170 pages) : illustrations (colour)
- GT525 .E53 2019eb
- 9781350045040 (hardback) [Invalid]
9781350049123 (paperback) [Invalid]
9781350045057 (epdf) [Invalid]
Other Standard Numbers:
- 10.5040/9781350045071 (source: None)
Other Control Numbers:
- [Unknown Type]: 1114275808
[Unknown Type]: bfl000065948227