- This astronomy travel guide examines the many wonderful opportunities for experiencing the observing hobby. Amateur astronomy is often consigned to observing from home or from a local park, yet it can be much more. Tim Treadwell explores all the possibilities of astronomical and space-related activities that are available on day trips and longer vacations. These activities range from observatory visits and other simple ways to build an astronomy event into a holiday, to full blown specialized astronomy travel. Many trips give the opportunity to visit some of the world's famous attractions. On most vacations it can be a matter of just taking a day (or night) out of your schedule to fit in an astronomy event, but larger, dedicated pilgrimages are also possible. How to make the most of astronomy potential on a holiday, whether observing on the beach in Hawaii with the Telescope Guy or visiting Star City in Russia, is covered in detail. Go to a star party, explore the national parks or see the northern lights! There are a wide variety of activities for all budgets described in this book.
Table of Contents:
- Preface; Photo Credits; Acknowledgments; Contents; Part I: Astronomy; Chapter 1: Telescope Shops and€Astronomy Shows; Telescope Shops; Astronomy Shows; Astronomy and€the€Arts; US: Regional Shows; Further Afield; National/International Events Days; Astronomy Magazines; Astronomy Forums; Chapter 2: Planetaria and€Science Museums; The US; The UK; Europe; Historical Homes; Space Memorabilia; Chapter 3: In Search of€Dark Skies; Stargazing in€Towns and€Cities; Dark Sky Sites; Finding a€Dark Sky Site; Commission for€Dark Skies; Chapter 4: Star Parties; The US.
- The Western and€Southwestern US Southwestern US; Midwestern US; Eastern and€Southern US; Southern US; Canada; The UK; Europe; Chapter 5: Astronomy in€the€National Parks; Summer Night Sky Ranger Schemes; International Dark Sky Association Recognized Dark Sky Parks; Chapter 6: Hawaii; When to€Travel; Which Islands to€Visit?; Oahu; Bishop Museum Planetarium; The Telescope Guy; The Big Island; Mauna Kea; Commercial Tours; Making Your Own Ascent; The Kona Side; The Hilo Side: Volcanoes and€Astronomy; Hilo: Institute for€Astronomy; The Other Islands.
- Chapter 7: The Northern Lights What Are the€Northern Lights?; How to€See Them: Optimizing Your Chances; Alaska; Canada; Russia; Iceland; Aurora Flights; Aurora Cruises; The Ice Hotel; Chapter 8: Southern Skies; Viewing Opportunities; Chile; Africa; South Africa; Australia; New Zealand: Aotearoa€- The€Land of€the€Long White Cloud; Chapter 9: Eclipses and€Other Time-Specific Events; Solar Eclipses; Lunar Eclipses; Transits; Occultations; Satellite Viewing; Comets; Meteor Showers; Chapter 10: Observing Other Astronomically Related Phenomena.
- Archaeoastronomy or Astroarchaeology Impact Craters; Desert Skies; Manhattanhenge; Tides; Tidal Bores; Extreme Tides; Chapter 11: Enhancing Your Observing Experience; Virtual Astronomy; Vacations and€Breaks at Small Private Observatories; Vacations at Astronomy Communities; Telescope Hire; Astronomy Courses: Improve Your Skills; Academic Astronomy Distance Learning; UK Courses; Part II: Space; Chapter 12: NASA Visitor Centers and€Other US Space Sites; Space Race Artifacts; The Shuttle Era; NASA Sites and€Visitor Centers.
- Chapter 13: Star City
- The Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center The Tour; Chapter 14: Meet an€Astronaut; Astronaut Events; Mercury, Gemini, Apollo Astronauts; Meeting Astronauts; Chapter 15: Cosmic Adventures; Watching a€NASA Rocket Launch; Baikonur Cosmodrome Tours: Launches and€Landings; Experiencing Micro-Gravity: Zero Gravity Flights; Virgin Galactic; Fly a€MIG 29 to€the€Edge of€Space; Fly an€Object to€the€Stratosphere: The€Edge of€Space; Astronomy; Chapter 1€- Telescope Shops & Astronomy Shows; Chapter 2€- Planetaria & Science Museums; Chapter 3€- In€Search of€Dark Skies.
- Item content: English
- Includes index.
Description based on: Online resource; title from PDF title page (EBSCO, viewed April 05, 2017).
- 1 online resource : color illustrations.
- text file
- QB44.3 .T743 2017eb
- 9783319500027 (electronic bk.)
3319500023 (electronic bk.)
Other Standard Numbers:
- Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/978-3-319-50002-7