- Abstract: This title offers easy to grasp explanations of the basic concepts and laws in the field, with emphasis on human rights in the historical, political, and legal experience of the United States. This indispensable resource surveys the legal protection of human dignity in the United States, examines the sources of human rights norms, cites key legal cases, explains the role of international governmental and non-governmental organizations, and charts global, regional, and UN human rights measures.
Table of Contents:
- Publisher's note
- Introduction and user's guide
- Chapter 1. Human rights law: background, theory, concepts & tools
- Chapter 2. Chronology of U.S. human rights moments & events
- Chapter 3. U.S. State Department, Secretary of State & human rights
- Chapter 4. U.N. Charter based bodies: focus on Human Rights Council Universal Periodic Review
- Chapter 5. U.N. Human Rights Council special procedures & complaint procedure
- Chapter 6. U.S., U.N. & human rights law: treaties & treaty bodies
- Chapter 7. Organization of American States: The U.S. & the Inter-American Human Rights System
- Chapter 8. Organization for Security & Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Chapter 9. Equality, non-discrimination & racism
- Chapter 10. Rights of indigenous peoples
- Chapter 11. Rights of the child
- Chapter 12. Women's and girls' rights
- Chapter 13. Immigration, migrant workers, refugees & asylum
- Chapter 14. Freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief
- Chapter 15. Freedom of expression & opinion, including freedom of the press
- Chapter 16. Law enforcement and criminal justice
- Chapter 17. Torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
- Chapter 18. A human right to health care
- Chapter 19. Climate change & human rights
- Chapter 20. The human right to education and to a human rights education (HRE)
- Chapter 21. International criminal law
- Chapter 22. International humanitarian law
- Chapter 23. Human rights & national security/counter terrorism measures
- Appendix A. U.S. law & legislation, resolutions, & the restatement of law
- Appendix B. Case law decisions from U.S. courts & international courts
- Appendix C. Reports of selected U.S. & international NGOs
- Primary source documents index
- About the authors.
- Item content: English
- Previously published as: Human rights in the United States.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on title page of print version.
- 1 online resource (409 entries) : 36 images.
- KF4747.5 .C37 2017eb
- 9781682173466 (hardcover) [Invalid]
1682173461 (hardcover) [Invalid]
9781786846723 (electronic version)
Other Control Numbers:
- gtp00567520 (source: CaBNVSL)
greyhuman2017 (source: Credo)
[Unknown Type]: Credo9781786846723