- This historical atlas is devoted primarily to India, Bangladesh and Pakistan, while also covering Napal, Bhutan and Ceylon/Sri Lanka. The maps are accompanied by text which illuminates recent political, economic, social and cultural developments.
Table of Contents:
- Cover; Half Title; Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Table of Contents; Foreword; Introduction; Geography, Climate, and Languages; 1 Geography of South Asia; Map 1.1 Size and Location of South Asia; Map 1.2 Physical Features; Map 1.3 Regional Frontiers and Culture Areas; 2 South Asian Climates; Map 2.1 Climates; Map 2.2 Average Annual Precipitation; Map 2.3 Onset of the Southwest Monsoon; Map 2.4 Withdrawal of the Southwest and Northeast Monsoon; 3 Languages of South Asia; Map 3 Languages of South Asia; Political and Military History; 4 Harappan Culture (Indus Valley Civilization).
- Map 4 Harappan Culture (Indus Valley Civilization)5 Indo-Aryan South Asia, c. 1000 BCE; Map 5 Indo-Aryan South Asia, c. 1000 BCE; 6 Republics and Kingdoms in Northern India, c. 700-450 BCE; Map 6 Republics and Kingdoms in Northern India, c. 700-450 BCE; 7 The Greeks in South Asia, 550-50 BCE; Map 7.1 Empire of Alexander the Great; Map 7.2 Greek South Asia; 8 Growth of the Mauryan Empire, 321-232 BCE; Map 8 Growth of the Mauryan Empire, 321-232 BCE; 9 South Asia, c. 185 BCE-320 CE; Map 9 South Asia, c. 185 BCE-320 CE; 10 Growth and Decline of the Gupta Empire, 320-550.
- Map 10 Growth and Decline of the Gupta Empire, 320-55011 Northern India, 550-606; Map 11 Northern India, 550-606; 12 Growth of Empire under Harsha Vardhana, 606-647; Map 12 Growth of Empire under Harsha Vardhana, 606-647; 13 The Struggle for Power in Southern India, 550-850; Map 13 The Struggle for Power in Southern India, 550-850; 14 Rise of the Cholas in the South, c. 850-1279; Map 14.1 Chola Overseas Expeditions; Map 14.2 Chola Expansion in South India; 15 Northern and Central India, c. 700-1200; Map 15.1 North and Central India, c. 925; Map 15.2 North and Central India, c. 1030.
- 16 Growth of Islam in South Asia, c. 700-1206Map 16.1 Arab Expansion in South Asia; Map 16.2 Central Asian Conquests in South Asia; 17 Growth of the Delhi Sultanate, 1206-1526; Map 17.1 The Delhi Sultanate under Qutbuddin and Iltutmish; Map 17.2 The Delhi Sultanate under Balban; Map 17.3 The Delhi Sultanate under Alauddin Khalji; Map 17.4 The Delhi Sultanate under Muhammad Tughluq; Map 17.5 The Delhi Sultanate under the Later Tughluqs; Map 17.6 Empire of Timur, c. 1398; Map 17.7 Delhi Sultanate under Alauddin Alam Shah; Map 17.8 The Delhi Sultanate under Sikander Lodi.
- Map 17.9 The Delhi Sultanate under Ibrahim Lodi18 Southern India, c. 1340-1565; Map 18.1 South India in 1517; Map 18.2 South India in 1564; 19 Arrival of the Portuguese, 1498; Map 19 Arrival of the Portuguese, 1498; 20 European Settlements in South Asia, 1498-1763; Map 20 European Settlements in South Asia, 1498-1763; 21 Growth of the Mughal Empire, 1526-1605; Map 21 Growth of the Mughal Empire, 1526-1605; 22 Mughal South Asia, 1605-1707; Map 22 Mughal South Asia, 1605-1707; 23 Growth of the Marathas, c. 1645-1720; Map 23 Growth of the Marathas, c. 1645-1720.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (185 pages).
- text file
- G2261.S1 S365 2015eb
- 9781317476801 (electronic bk.)
1317476808 (electronic bk.)