- "Unlikely Allies in the Academy brings the voices of women of Color and White women together for much-overdue conversations about race. These well-known contributors use narrative to expose their stories, which are at times messy and always candid. However, the contributors work through the discomfort, confusion, and frustration in order to have honest conversations about race and racism. The narratives from Chicanas, Indigenous, Asian American, African American, and White women academicians explore our past, present, and future, what separates us, and how to communicate honestly in an effort to become allies. Chapters discuss the need to interrupt and disrupt the norms of interaction and engagement by allowing for the messiness of discomfort in frank discussion. The dialogues model how to engage in difficult dialogues about race and begin to illuminate the unspoken misunderstandings about how White women and women of Color engage one another. This valuable book offers strategies, ideas, and the hope for moving toward true alliances in the academy and to improve race relations. This important resource is for Higher Education administrators and scholars grappling with the intersectionality of race and gender as they work to understand, study, and create more inclusive climates"--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- Origins, problems, and the need for conversation. What makes cross-race alliances unlikely? / Angelina E. Castagno [and others] ; A white woman talks to white women / Frances E. Kendall
- Women of color talk. On friendship, kinship, and skinship : healing relationships between indigenous and white women scholars / Malia Villegas and Adreanne Ormond ; The whiteness of truth and the presumption of innocence / Karen L. Dace ; On becoming allies : opportunities and challenges in creating alliances between white women and women of color in the academy / Marquita T. Chamblee ; A Latina Testimonio : challenges as an academic, issues of difference, and a call for solidarity with white female academics / Theresa L. Torres ; What do I do with all of your tears? / Karen L. Dace
- White women talk. Too much history between us / Peggy McIntosh ; Friends in deed, friendship indeed? / Liz Leckie ; Moments of suspension and other instances of whiteness in the academy / Angelina E. Castagno ; Using tenure as a white woman : speaking truth to power / Marybeth Gasman
- Women of color and white women in conversation. Are we there yet? trust, faith, and the power of a common goal / Kristi Ryujin and Martha Sonntag Bradley ; Twins separated at birth? critical moments in cross-race mentoring relationships / Stephanie A. Fryberg and Louann Gerken ; Play on white : the intimate politics of (be)longing / Karen Lee Ashcraft and Lisa A. Flores ; What's love got to do with it? / Pamela Huang Chao and Elizabeth Cassanos ; Race at first sight : the funding of racial scripts between black and white women / Lori D. Patton and Rachelle Winkle-Wagner.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource (xii, 198 pages)
- text file
- LC1568 .U55 2012eb
Other Standard Numbers:
- [Unknown Type]: 9786613659569
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC982111 (source: MiAaPQ)