- Sometimes it is easy to generate charts and graphs that look fine to you, but don't clearly communicate the information that they represent. Knaflic's own knack for clarity will help you sharpen your message when using data in your business presentations.
"Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals of data visualization and how to communicate effectively with data. You'll discover the power of storytelling and the way to make data a pivotal point in your story. The lessons in this illuminative text are grounded in theory, but made accessible through numerous real-world examples--ready for immediate application to your next graph or presentation. Storytelling is not an inherent skill, especially when it comes to data visualization, and the tools at our disposal don't make it any easier. This book demonstrates how to go beyond conventional tools to reach the root of your data, and how to use your data to create an engaging, informative, compelling story. Specifically, you'll learn how to: understand the importance of context and audience; determine the appropriate type of graph for your situation; recognize and eliminate the clutter clouding your information; direct your audience's attention to the most important parts of your data; think like a designer and utilize concepts of design in data visualization; [and] leverage the power of storytelling to help your message resonate with your audience."--Publisher's description.
Table of Contents:
- The importance of context
- Choosing an effective visual
- Clutter is your enemy!
- Focus your audience's attention
- Think like a designer
- Dissecting model visuals
- Lessons in storytelling
- Pulling it all together
- Case studies
- Final thoughts.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 257-259) and index.
Received as part of a 2017 Nonprofit Capacity Building grant, from the Texas State Library Association and Archives Commission and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- xiii, 267 pages : illustrations (some color), charts ; 24 cm
- QA76.9.I52 K64 2015
- 9781119002253 (pbk.)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: