Table of Contents:
- Shock wave II : an introduction to the twenty-first century / Clark Kerr
- Part I: Demographic and economic forces of change. Credential inflation and the future of universities / Randall Collins / Universities and knowledge : restructuring the city of intellect / Patricia J. Gumport / The competition for high-ability students : universities in a key marketplace / Roger L. Geiger / The new world of knowledge production in the life sciences / Walter W. Powell, Jason Owen-Smith
- Part II: Technological forces of change. Becoming digital : the challenges of weaving technology throughout higher education / Carol Tomlinson-Keasey / The audit of virtuality : universities in the attention economy / Richard A. Lanham / New business models for higher education / David J. Collis
- Part III: Continuity and change in fields of knowledge. The disciplines and the future / Andrew Abbott / The rise of the "practical arts" / Steven Brint / The political economy of curriculum-making in American universities / Sheila Slaughter
- Part IV: Continuity and change in academic work and university governance / The "academic revolution" revisited / Richard Chait / University transformation : primary pathways to university autonomy and achievement / Burton R. Clark.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (xxvii, 353 pages)
- text file
- LA227.4 .F92 2002eb
Other Control Numbers:
- 85692 (source: EbpS)