- "Few issues have engaged sports scholars more than those of race and ethnicity. Today, globalization and migration mean all major sports leagues include players from around the globe, bringing into play a complex mix of racial, ethnic, cultural, political and geographical factors. These complexities have been examined from many angles by historians, sociologists, anthropologists and scientists. This is the first book to offer a comprehensive survey of the full sweep of approaches to the study of sport, race and ethnicity. The Routledge Handbook of Sport, Race and Ethnicity makes a substantial contribution to scholarship, presenting a collection of international case studies that map the most important developments in the field. Multi-disciplinary in its approach, it engages with a wide range of disciplines including history, politics, sociology, philosophy, science and gender studies. It draws upon the latest cutting-edge research to address key issues such as racism, integration, globalisation, development and management. Written by a world-class team of sports scholars, this book is essential reading for all students, researchers and policy-makers with an interest in sports studies"--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / David K. Wiggins and John Nauright
- Histories of race and ethnicity in sports / David K. Wiggins and John Nauright
- Anthropology, race and sport / Meghan Ferriter
- Philosophy, science and race in sport / Verner Moeller
- Intersections of race and gender in sport / Sasha Sutherland
- Policy and management / Marc Keech
- Race and sports journalism / Rob Steen and Jed Novick
- Whiteness and race in sport / Thomas Fletcher and Kevin Hylton
- Globalization, migration and race in sport / Sine Agergaard and Mari Haugaa Engh
- Sport for development and peace : neoliberal global sport and African bodies / John Nauright
- Aotearoa/New Zealand / Farah Palmer, Geoff Watson and Greg Ryan
- Australia / Daryl Adair
- Britain / Luke Harris
- European football / Mark Doidge
- Germany / Sebastian Braun and Tina Nobis
- Ireland and the Irish diaspora / Paul Darby
- Russia / Sergey Altukhov
- South Africa / Chris Bolsmann
- USA / Rob Ruck
- Race, sport and the post-9/11 world / Mahfoud Amara.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (266 pages).
- text file
- GV706.32 .R68 2017eb
9781138816954 (hardback) [Invalid]
1138816957 (hardback) [Invalid]
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC4684090 (source: MiAaPQ)