- "This book is an interdisciplinary discussion of popular music performed and created by American Indian musicians, providing an important window into history, politics, and tribal communities as it simultaneously complements literary, historiographic, anthropological, and sociological discussions of Native culture"--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- "What is the sound of America?"
- Joe Shunatona and the United States Indian Reservation Orchestra / John W. Troutman
- American Indian jazz : Mildred Bailey and the origins of America's most musical art form / Chad Hamill
- Jazz and the politics of identity : the spirit of Jim Pepper / Bill Siegel
- Speaking for the people : the protest music of Buffy Sainte-Marie and Floyd Westerman / Kimberli Lee
- Brothers of the blade : three native axmen : Link Wray, Robbie Robertson and Jesse Ed Davis / Scott Prinzing
- "We were all wounded at Wounded Knee" : the engaged resistance of folk and rock in the Red Power era / Jan Johnson
- "We'll get there with music" : sonic literacies, rhetorics of alliance, and decolonial healing in Joy Harjo's Winding through the Milky Way / Gabriela R. Rios
- Hearing the heartbeat : environmental cultural values found in the lyrics of native songwriters / Samantha Hasek and April E. Lindala
- "The story of a lifetime" : singing, crossing, and claiming in Lila Downs' "Minimum wage" / Casie C. Cobos
- Babylon inna Hopiland : articulations of tradition and social injustice by the Hopi reggae musician Casper Loma-da-wa Lomayesva / David Walsh
- Blackfire's land-based ethics : the Benally family and the protection of shi kéyah hozhoni / Jeff Berglund
- A reading of Eekwol's apprentice to the mystery as an expression of Cree youth's cultural role and responsibility / Gail A. Mackay
- "By the time I get to Arizona" : hiphop responses to Arizona SB 1070 / Marcos Del Hierro.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- ML3557 .I63 2016eb
- 9780816533732 (electronic bk.)
0816533733 (electronic bk.)
9780816509447 (pbk., alk. paper) [Invalid]
0816509441 (pbk., alk. paper) [Invalid]
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC4412552 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp12820560