- "Do video games cause violent, aggressive behavior? Can online games help us learn? When it comes to video games, these are often the types of questions raised by popular media, policy makers, scholars, and the general public. In this collection, international experts review the latest research findings in the field of digital game studies and weigh in on the actual physical, social, and psychological effects of video games. Taking a broad view of the industry from the moral panic of its early days up to recent controversies surrounding games like Grand Theft Auto, contributors explore the effects of games through a range of topics including health hazards/benefits, education, violence and aggression, addiction, cognitive performance, and gaming communities. Interdisciplinary and accessibly written, The Video Game Debate reveals that the arguments surrounding the game industry are far from black and white, and opens the door to richer conversation and debate amongst students, policy makers, and scholars alike." -- Publisher's description.
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Brief History of Video Games / James D. Ivory
- 2. Rise (and Refinement) of Moral Panic / Nicholas D. Bowman
- 3. Are Electronic Games Health Hazards or Health Promoters? / Cheryl K. Olson
- 4. Influence of Digital Games on Aggression and Violent Crime / Christopher J. Ferguson
- 5. Gaming Addiction and Internet Gaming Disorder / Mark D. Griffiths
- 6. Social Outcomes: Online Game Play, Social Currency, and Social Ability / Rachel Kowert
- 7. Debating How to Learn From Video Games / John L. Sherry
- 8. Video Games and Cognitive Performance / C. Shawn Green
- 9. Exploring Gaming Communities / Frans Mayra
- 10. No Black and White in Video Game Land! Why We Need to Move Beyond Simple Explanations in the Video Game Debate / Rachel Kowert.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Ipswich, MA Available via World Wide Web.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- text file
- GV1469.3 .V5225 2016
- 9781317567165 (electronic bk.)
1317567161 (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- 1057293 (source: EbpS)
[Unknown Type]: ybp12591553