- Abstract: For a woman faced with a diagnosis of breast cancer, the information available today is vast, uneven, and confusing. For more than two decades, readers have relied on Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book to guide them through this frightening thicket of research and opinion to find the best possible options for their particular situations. This sixth edition explains exciting advances in targeted treatments, hormonal therapies, safer chemotherapy, and immunologic approaches as well as new forms of surgery and radiation. There is extensive guidance for the increasing number of women living for years with metastatic breast cancer. With Dr. Love's warm support, readers can sort the facts from the fads, ask the right questions, and recognize when a second opinion might be wise.
Table of Contents:
- Part one: The healthy breast and common problems: 1. The breast; 2. Common breast problems
- Part two: What causes breast cancer and how do we prevent it? 3. Biology of cancer; 4. Hereditary breast cancer; 5. Understanding risk; 6. Prevention and risk reduction
- Part three: Finding breast cancer: 7. Screening; 8. Diagnosis
- Part four: Decisions: 9. Coping with a breast cancer diagnosis; 10. What kind of breast cancer do I have? 11. Decisions about treatment; 12. Special situations and populations
- Part five: Treatment in the age of personalized medicine: 13. Local treatment: surgery; 14. Local treatment: radiation therapy; 15. Systemic therapy: chemotherapy, hormones, targeted therapies; 16. Systemic therapy: lifestyle changes and complementary treatments
- Part six: After treatment: 17. Follow-up; 18. After breast cancer treatment: living with collateral damage
- Part seven: Recurrence of breast cancer:
- 19. When cancer comes back; 20. Living with recurrence
- Epilogue. Eradicating breast cancer: politics and research
- Appendix A. Resources
- Appendix B. Pathology checklist
- About the authors.
- Item content: English
- "A Merloyd Lawrence Book."
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on title page of print version.
- 1 online resource (37 entries) : 119 images.
- RG491 .L68 2015eb
- 9781785396038 (electronic)
9780738218212 (print) [Invalid]
0738218219 (print) [Invalid]
Other Control Numbers:
- gtp00563882 (source: CaBNVSL)
persself2015 (source: Credo)
[Unknown Type]: Credo9781785396038