- The papers presented in this volume analyze the civil uprising known as Euromaidan that began in central Kyiv in late November 2013, when the Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych opted not to sign an Association Agreement with the European Union, and continued over the following months. The topics include the motivations and expectations of protesters, organized crime, nationalism, gender issues, mass media, the Russian language, and the impact of Euromaidan on Ukrainian politics as well as on the EU, Russia, and Belarus. The goal of the book is less to offer a definitive account than one that represents a variety of aspects of a mass movement that captivated world attention and led to the downfall of the Yanukovych presidency. The authors comprise well known and younger scholars who work on contemporary Ukraine and its neighbors. -- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: Maidans Past and Present: Comparing the Orange Revolution and the Euromaidan / Olga Onuch
- Vigilantes, Organized Crime, and Russian and Eurasian Nationalisms: The Case of Ukraine / Taras Kuzio
- Mass Media Framing, Representations, and Impact on Public Opinion / Marta Dyczok
- Ukrainian Thesaurus in Russian / Tanya Zaharchenko
- EuroRevolution: A Historian's Street-Side Observations / William Risch
- Gender and Nationalism on the Maidan / Olesya Khromeychuk
- Beyond the Square: The Real and Symbolic Landscapes of the Euromaidan / Natalia Otrishchenko
- "Voices of Resistance and Hope": On the Motivations and Expectations of Euromaidaners / Anna Chebotariova
- Digital Civil Society: Euromaidan, the Ukrainian Diaspora, and Social Media / Svitlana Krasynska
- Canada's Response to Euromaidan / Aya Fujiwara
- Belarus and Euromaidan: Lukashenka's Response / David R. Marples
- Understanding the Euromaidan: The View from the Kremlin / Frederick V. Mills.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- DK508.848 .U485 2015eb
- 9783838267005 (electronic bk.)
3838267001 (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC1977200 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp12395007