- "How do rapid social and technological changes shape reproductive realms today? What is at stake? What problems are raised? What solutions are offered? In this collection, leading international scholars consider the complex 'choices', anxieties, and challenges of reproduction in postmodernity for both women and men in a range of cultural positions and geographical locations in the West. Focusing on topical issues such as surrogacy, online sperm banking, gamete donation, contraception, and breastfeeding, Reframing Reproduction proposes a new framework for conceptualising the relationship between gender and reproduction in the twenty-first century. Each of the 14 chapters uniquely explores the social aspects of how women and men feel, think, and act in relation to their reproductive 'choices'. Providing accessible and thought-provoking discussions, this book will appeal to those interested in contemporary reproductive practices, technologies, and experiences"-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Contested ̀Choices' and Challenges
- 1. Towards a More Inclusive Framework for Understanding Fertility Barriers / Karina M. Shreffler
- 2. Constructions of the ̀Best Interests of the Child' in New South Wales Parliamentary Debates on Surrogacy / Clemence Due
- 3. ̀Diseases', ̀Defects', Àbnormalities', and ̀Conditions': Discursive Tensions in Prenatal Screening / Jeff Nisker
- 4. Limits of ̀Choice': Abortion and Entrepreneurialism / Kate Gleeson
- 5. Gaps in Post-Birth Care in Neoliberal Times: Evidence from Canada / Sarah Berry
- pt. II Reproductive Bodies and Identities
- 6. Unborn Assemblages: Shifting Configurations of Embryonic and Foetal Embodiment / Deborah Lupton
- 7. Picturing Postpartum Body Image: A Photovoice Study / Meredith Nash
- 8. ̀My Doctor Told Me I Can Still Have Children But': Contradictions in Women's Reproductive Health Experiences after Spinal Cord Injury / Catherine Lysack
- 9. Taking a Long View of the ̀Right Time' for Fatherhood / Fiona Shirani
- 10. Anticipating and Èxperiencing' Birth: Men, Essentialisms, and Reproductive Realms / Tina Miller
- pt. III (Global) Reproductive Marketplace
- 11. Putting ̀Daddy' in the Cart: Ordering Sperm Online / Marianna Grady
- 12. Reciprocity in the Donation of Reproductive Oocytes / Catherine Waldby
- 13. Expressed Breast Milk as Commodity: Disembodied Motherhood and Involved Fatherhood / Kath Ryan
- 14. What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger: Young Women's Online Conversations about Quitting the Pill / Elizabeth Arveda Kissling.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- HQ766 .R377 2014eb
- 9781137267139 (electronic bk.)
1137267135 (electronic bk.)
9781137267122 (hardback) [Invalid]
1137267127 (hardback) [Invalid]
Other Standard Numbers:
- [Unknown Type]: 60001932131
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC1725783 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp11699340