Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Devon A. Mihesuah
- The representations of Indian bodies in nineteenth-century American anthropology / Robert E. Bieder
- Digging for identity: reflections on the cultural background of collecting / Curtis M. Hinsley, Jr.
- An unraveling rope: the looting of America's past / Robert J. Mallouf
- Why anthropologists study human remains / Patricia M. Landau, D. Gentry Steele
- American Indians, anthropologists, pothunters, and repatriation: ethical, religious, and political differences / Devon A. Mihesuah
- Repatriation: a Pawnee's perspective / James Riding In
- The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act: background and legislative history / Jack F. Trope, Walter R. Echo-Hawk
- Secularism, civil religion, and the religious freedom of American Indians / Vine Deloria, Jr.
- Ethics and the reburial controversy / Lynne Goldstein, Keith Kintigh
- Some scholars' views on reburial / Clement W. Meighan
- A perspective on ethics and the reburial controversy / Anthony L. Klesert, Shirley Powell
- (Re)Constructing bodies: semiotic sovereignty and the debate over Kennewick Man / Suzanne J. Crawford
- Repatriation at the Pueblo of Zuni: diverse solutions to complex problems / T.J. Ferguson, Roger Anyon, Edmund J. Ladd
- Repatriation as social drama: the Kwakiutl Indians of British Columbia, 1922-1980 / Ira Jacknis
- NAGPRA: a new beginning, not the end for osteological analysis-a Hopi perspective / Kurt E. Dongoske
- A new and different archaeology? With a postscript on the impact of the Kennewick dispute / Larry J. Zimmerman
- Appendix: Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- viii, 335 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- E98.M34 R46 2000
- 0803282648 (pbk., alk. paper)
9780803282643 (pbk., alk. paper)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: