Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Benefits to Higher Education -- 1. Communication Centers and Retention in Higher Education: Is There a Link? / Eunkyong L. Yook -- 2. Speaking Our Minds: Communication Centers and Critical Thinking / Wendy Atkins-Sayre -- 3. Communication Centers and Liberal Arts Education: Problems and Possibilities Associated with Cross-disciplinary Engagements / Corey J. Liberman -- 4. Communication Center: A Critical Site of Intervention for Student Empowerment / Nick J. Romerhausen -- 5. Role Becomes Them: Examining Communication Center Alumni Experiences / Susan Wilson -- pt. II Challenges to Today's Centers -- 6. Ethics and the Communication Center: Chameleon or Tortoise? / Sarah M. Wilde -- 7. Blind Leading the Blind? An Ethnographic Heuristic for Communication Centers / Amy L. Housley Gaffney -- 8. Learning to Tell What You Know: A Communication Intervention for Biology Students / Karen A. Curto -- 9. Using Theory and Research to Increase Student Use of Communication Center Services / Rose Clark-Hitt -- 10. Focusing on Faculty: The Importance of Faculty Support to Communication Center Success / Wendy Atkins-Sayre -- pt. III Alternative Models for Communication Centers -- 11. Communication Center Ethos: Remediating Space, Encouraging Collaboration / Shawn Apostel -- 12. Combined Centers Approach: How Speaking and Writing Centers Can Work Together / Casey Malone Maugh -- 13. Course Management Systems: Creating Alternative Avenues for Student Access of Communication Centers / Luke LeFebvre -- 14. Virtual Communication Centers: A Resource for Building Oral Competency / Lynn O. Cooper -- 15. Implementation of Computer Mediated Communication in Communication Centers / Alyssa Davis -- pt. IV New Directions in Consultant Training -- 16. Technology Tutoring: Communication Centers Take the Lead / A. Paige Normand -- 17. Using Empathetic Listening to Build Client Relationships at the Center / Alexandra Vizzier Stephenson -- 18. Best Practices in Communication Center Training and Training Assessment / Kristen A. Mclntyre
- "Communication Centers and Oral Communication Programs in Higher Education, edited by Eunkyong L. Yook and Wendy Atkins-Sayre reveals vital information that is of theoretical and practical importance to higher education administrators, educators, and communication centers directors and staff. It is the first book to be published on communication centers"-- Provided by publisher
- Description based on print version record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. Available via World Wide Web.
- 1 online resource.
- P91.5.U5 C66 2012eb
- 0739173588 (electronic bk.)
9780739173589 (electronic bk.)
9780739168165 (hardback) [Invalid]
0739168169 (hardback) [Invalid]
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC928519 (source: MiAaPQ)