- While more mothers are increasingly occupying institutions of higher learning, they still struggle to make headway in a world that privileges a commitment to countless hours of scholarly research and study. Despite some advances in institutional policy, these women continue to feel isolated and the need to strive for respect.Featuring forthright testimonials by women who are or have been mothers as undergraduates, graduate students, academic staff, administrators, and professors, this volume intimately portrays the experiences of women at various stages of motherhood while theoret
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I WORKING/LEARNING IN THE ACADEMY WHILE WORKING/LEARNING AS A MOM
- 1. How We Learned to Stop Worrying and to Enjoy Having It All / Orlee Hauser
- 2. Academia or Bust: Feeding the Hungry Mouths of the University, Babies, and Ourselves / Larissa M. Mercado-Lopez
- 3. Diverse Academic Support for an Employee, Mother, and Nontraditional Student / Wendy K. Wilde
- 4. Breaking the Glass Ceiling While Being a Mother: Parenting, Teaching, Research, and Administration / Kim Powell
- 5. To Tell or Not to Tell: Single Motherhood and the Academic Job Market / Virginia L. Lewis
- 6. Class, Race, and Motherhood: Raising Children of Color in a Space of Privilege / Irene Mata
- pt. II UNEXPECTED CHALLENGES AND MOMENTOUS REVELATIONS
- 7. Four Kids and a Dissertation: Queering the Balance Between Family and Academia / Vanessa Adel
- 8. "Tia Maria de la Maternity Leave": Reflections on Race, Class, and the Natural-Birth Experience / Susana L. Gallardo
- 9. Threads That Bind: A Testimonio to Puerto Rican Working Mothers / Maura I. Toro-Morn
- 10. Parenting Within the Nexus of Race, Class, and Gender Oppression in Graduate School at a Historically Black College/University / Olivia Perlow
- 11. Sobreviviendo (and Thriving) in the Academy: My Tias' Counterconsejos and Advice / J. Estrella Torrez
- 12. Revolving Doors: Mother-Woman Rhythms in Academic Spaces / Allia A. Matta
- pt. III CREATING MORE PARENT-FRIENDLY INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING
- 13. Academic Library Policies: Advocating for Mothers' Research and Service Needs / Gilda Baeza Ortego
- 14. Reimagining the Fairytale of Motherhood in the Academy / Mandy A. Reid
- 15. Tales from the Tenure Track: The Necessity of Social Support in Balancing the Challenges of Tenure and Motherhood / Lisa Baker-Webster
- 16. How Higher Education Became Accessible to Single Mothers: An Unfinished Story / Summer R. Cunningham
- 17. Making It Work: Success Strategies for Graduate Student Mothers / Tamara Mose Brown
- 18. Academic Mothers on Leave (but on the Clock), on the Line (and off the Record): Toward Improving Parental-Leave Policies and Practices / Devin C. Carey
- 19. Supporting Academic Mothers: Creating a Work Environment with Choices / Brenda K. Bushouse.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. Available via World Wide Web.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- text file
- LC1567 .M68 2013eb
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC1103454 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp10718316