- Boldly and eloquently contributing to the argument against the prison system in the United States, these provocative essays offer an ideological and practical framework for empowering prisoners instead of incarcerating them. Experts and activists who have worked within and against the prison system join forces here to call attention to the debilitating effects of a punishment-driven society and offer clear-eyed alternatives, emphasizing working directly with prisoners and their communities. --
Stephen John Hartnett is an associate professor and chair of communication at the University of Colorado Denver. He is the author of Incarceration Nation: Investigative Prison Poems of Hope and Terror and Executing Democracy, Volume One: Capital Punishment and the Making of America, 1683-1807. --Book Jacket.
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Building an Abolition Democracy; or, The Fight against Public Fear, Private Benefits, and Prison Expansion / Stephen John Hartnett
- Poem "Another Day in the Champaign County Jail" / Erica R. Meiners
- 2. Militarizing the Police: Officer Jon Burge, Torture, and War in the "Urban Jungle" / Dennis Mansker
- Poem "Gotta Be Careful Where Ya Plant Ya Feet" / Julilly Kohler-Hausmann
- 3. Killing Democracy; or, How the Drug War Drives the Prison-Industrial Complex / Marvin Mays
- Poem "Another Day" / Daniel Mark Larson
- 4. Teaching You to Love Fear: Television News and Racial Stereotypes in a Punishing Democracy / Erika Baro
- Poem "In Search of Salvation" / Travis L. Dixon
- 5. Diagnosing the Schools-to-Prisons Pipeline: Maximum Security, Minimum Learning / William T. Smith
- 6. "A Piece of the Reply": The Prison Creative Arts Project and Practicing Resistance / Rose Braz / Myesha Williams
- Poem "The Poet's Corner" / Buzz Alexander
- 7. Each One Reach One: Playwriting and Community Activism as Redemption and Prevention / George Hall
- Poem "Devil Talks" / Robin Sohnen
- 8. Fostering Cultures of Achievement in Urban Schools: How to Work toward the Abolition of the Schools-to-Prisons Pipeline / Robert "Chicago" McCollum
- Poem "January 3, 2009" / Garrett Albert Duncan
- 9. Humanizing Education behind Bars: Shakespeare and the Theater of Empowerment / Nicole Monahan
- Poem "Anger" / Jonathan Shailor
- 10. Breaking Down the Walls: Inside-Out Learning and the Pedagogy of Transformation / Kenneth Sean Kelly.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- HV9471 .C46 2011eb
- 9780252090165 (electronic bk.)
0252090160 (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC3414161 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp9923471