- This anthology provides a lively and stimulating view of the lives of ordinary citizens in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. For the second edition of this popular textbook, readings have been updated and new essays added. The result is a timely collection that explores key themes in understanding the region, including gender, caste, class, religion, globalization, economic liberalization, nationalism, and emerging modernities. New readings focus attention on the experiences of the middle classes, migrant workers, and IT professionals, and on media, consumerism, and youth c.
Table of Contents:
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Acknowledgments; Note on Transliteration; Map; Introduction; Part One: The Family and the Life Course; Introduction; 1 One Straw from a Broom Cannot Sweep: The Ideology and Practice of the Joint Family in Rural North India; 2 Allah Gives Both Boys and Girls; 3 ""Out Here in Kathmandu"": Youth and the Contradictions of Modernity in Urban Nepal; 4 Rethinking Courtship, Marriage, and Divorce in an Indian Call Center; 5 Love and Aging in Bengali Families; Part Two: Genders; Introduction; 6 New Light in the House: Schooling Girls in Rural North India
- 7 Roadwork: Offstage with Special Drama Actresses in Tamil Nadu, South India8 Breadwinners No More: Identities in Flux; 9 Life on the Margins: A Hijra's Story; 10 Crossing ""Lines"" of Difference: Transnational Movements and Sexual Subjectivities in Hyderabad, India; Part Three: Caste, Class, and Community; Introduction; 11 Seven Prevalent Misconceptions about India's Caste System; 12 God-Chariots in a Garden of Castes: Hierarchy and Festival in a Hindu City; 13 High and Low Castes in Karani; 14 Weakness, Worry Illness, and Poverty in the Slums of Dhaka
- 15 Anjali's Alliance: Class Mobility in Urban India16 Recasting the Secular: Religion and Education in Kerala, India; Part Four: Practicing Religion; Introduction; 17 The Hindu Gods in a South Indian Village; 18 The Feast of Love; 19 The Delusion of Gender and Renunciation in Buddhist Kashmir; 20 Muslim Village Intellectuals: The Life of the Mind in Northern Pakistan; 21 In Friendship: A Father, a Daughter, and a Jinn; 22 Vernacular Islam at a Healing Crossroads in Hyderabad; Part Five: Nation-Making; Introduction; 23 Voices from the Partition; 24 A Day in the Life
- 25 Living and Dying for Mother India: Hindu Nationalist Female Renouncers and Sacred Duty26 Political Praise in Tamil Newspapers: The Poetry and Iconography of Democratic Power; 27 Mala's Dream: Economic Policies, National Debates, and Sri Lankan Garment Workers; 28 Interviews with High School Students in Eastern Sri Lanka; Part Six: Globalization, Public Culture, and the South Asian Diaspora; Introduction; 29 Cinema in the Countryside: Popular Tamil Film and the Remaking of Rural Life; 30 Dangerous Desires: Erotics, Public Culture, and Identity in Late-Twentieth-Century India
- 31 A Diaspora Ramayana in Southall32 British Sikh Lives, Lived in Translation; 33 Examining the ""Global"" Indian Middle Class: Gender and Culture in the Silicon Valley/Bangalore Circuit; 34 Placing Lives through Stories: Second-Generation South Asian Americans; 35 Unexpected Destinations; List of References; List of Contributors; Index
- Item content: English
- Description based upon print version of record.
- 1 online resource (581 pages)
- text file
- DS339 .E94 2010eb
- 9780253013576 (electronic bk.)
0253013577 (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC1402903 (source: MiAaPQ)