The bro code: how contemporary culture creates sexist men
a presentation of the Media Education Foundation; written and produced by Thomas Keith
- Resource Type:
- DVD Video
- Northampton, MA : Media Education Foundation, 
|BRO 2011 DVD||Checking availability||Request pickup|
- "Filmmaker Thomas Keith takes aim at the forces in male culture that condition boys and men to dehumanize and disrespect women. Keith breaks down a range of contemporary media forms, zeroing in on movies and music videos that glamorize womanizing, pornography that trades in the brutalization of women, comedians who make fun of sexual assault, and a groundswell of men's magazines and cable TV shows that revel in old-school myths of American manhood. Even as epidemic levels of men's violence against women persist in the real world, the message Keith uncovers in virtually every corner of our entertainment culture is clear: It's not only normal -- but cool -- for boys and men to control and humiliate women. Arguing that there's nothing normal, natural, or inevitable about this mentality, The Bro Code challenges young people, young men and women alike, to step up and fight back against the idea that being a real man means being sexist"--From publisher's website.
- Table of Contents:
- Introduction (2:15)
- Step 1. Train men to womanize (18:03)
- Step 2. Immerse men in porn (13:25)
- Step 3. Make rape jokes (11:33)
- Step 4. Obey the masculinity cops (12:22).
- Language Notes:
- In English, with optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD; NTSC; all region; Dolby digital stereo.; aspect ratio 4:3.1.
- With Thomas Keith ; interviewees: Douglas Rushkoff, Michael Leahy, Rory Reid, Robert Jensen, Michael Kimmel, Shirat Tarrant, Gilbert Pete, Neal King, Richard Taklender, Gonzalo Rucobo, J.W. Wiley, Also includes a recorded clip of Tony Porter.
- Production Credits:
- Director of photography, Michael Enriquez ; editor, Thomas Keith.
- General Notes:
- "Viewer discretion advised: contains violent & sexual imagery"--From opening screen.
Public performance rights included.
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (58 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Physical Characteristics:
- plastic; metal; polychrome
- Audio Characteristics:
- digital; optical
- Video Characteristics:
- Digital Characteristics:
- video file; DVD video; region 1
- Call Numbers:
- BRO 2011 DVD
- Other Standard Numbers:
- Universal Product Code: 897952001434
- OCLC Numbers: