Table of Contents:
- Introduction. A heritage made our own / Robert F. Durant
- Reconceptualizing the history of American bureaucracy?. Historical institutionalism, political development, and the study of American bureaucracy / David Brian Robertson ; The "first new federalism" and the development of the administrative state, 1883-1929 / Kimberley Johnson ; A gendered legacy : the progressive reform era revisited / Hindy Lauer Schachter ; Reevaluating executive-centered public administrative theory / David H. Rosenbloom ; Metaphors and the development of American bureaucracy / Jonathan G.S. Koppell ; Herbert Hoover's revenge : politics, policy, and administrative reform movements / Robert F. Durant
- Rethinking rationality in American bureaucracy?. Agency theory and the bureaucracy / B. Dan Wood ; Agency design and evolution / Amy B. Zegart ; Goal ambiguity and the study of American bureaucracy / Hal G. Rainey ; Street-level bureaucracy theory / Steven Maynard-Moody and Shannon Portillo ; The promises and paradoxes of performance-based bureaucracy / Donald P. Moynihan ; Leading through cultural change / Anne M. Khademian ; Postmodernism, bureaucracy, and democracy / Ralph P. Hummel and Camilla Stivers
- Redrawing the boundaries of American bureaucracy?. Myths, markets, and the "visible hand" of American Bureaucracy / H. George Frederickson and Edmund C. Stazyk ; Networking in the shadow of bureaucracy / Michael McGuire and Robert Agranoff ; The promises, performance, and pitfalls of government contracting / Jocelyn M. Johnston and Barbara S. Romzek ; Reluctant partners : nonprofit collaboration, social entrepreneurship, and leveraged volunteerism / Wolfgang Bielefeld, James L. Perry, and Ann Marie Thomson ; Policy tools, mandates, and intergovernmental relations / Beryl A. Radin and Paul Posner ; Promises, perils, and performance of netcentric bureaucracy / Sharon L. Caudle ; Multilevel methods in the study of bureaucracy / Carolyn J. Heinrich and Carolyn J. Hill
- Recalibrating politics, responsiveness, and accountability in American bureaucracy?. Legislative delegation of authority to bureaucratic agencies / George A. Krause ; "Presidentializing" the bureaucracy / Robert F. Durant and William G. Resh ; Bureaucracy, democracy, and judicial review / Jerry L. Mashaw ; Interest groups, rulemaking, and American bureaucracy / Cornelius Kerwin, Scott Furlong, and William West ; Policymaking, bureaucratic discretion, and overhead democracy / Samuel Workman, Bryan D. Jones, and Ashley E. Jochim ; Choice-theoretic approaches to bureaucratic structure / Jonathan Bendor and Thomas H. Hammond
- Revitalizing the constitutional, resource capacity, and ethical foundations of American bureaucracy?. Has governance eclipsed government? / Laurence E. Lynn, Jr ; Revitalizing human resources management / Norma M. Riccucci ; Representative bureaucracy / Lael R. Keiser ; Innovations in budgeting and financial management / Daniel R. Mullins and John L. Mikesell ; The prospects for revitalizing ethics in a new governance era / Guy B. Adams and Danny L. Balfour ; Experimental methods, agency incentives, and the study of bureaucratic behavior / Gary J. Miller and Andrew B. Whitford.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- xix, 864 pages ; 26 cm.
- JK681 .O94 2010
- 9780199238958 (hbk.)