- "Over 500 essential tips and tricks for current and future students From Lynn F. Jacobs and Jeremy S. Hyman, the authors of Professors' Guide to Getting Good Grades in College, comes this insider's look at what it takes to succeed in college. Written in an engaging and accessible style by two highly experienced college professors, this book is an essential resource for high school students and incoming freshman that includes tips on a variety of topics, such as 6 things to do the summer before college. Do's and don'ts for picking your courses. The 12 habits of top college students. 10 secrets of taking excellent lecture notes. 15 ways to make your professor love you. Find out what college is really about from the people who know it best-the professors."--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- 1. This is college : 10 things you need to know about college (but probably don't) ; What's new at college? Fun facts ; The 14 habits of top college students ; The 11 secrets of getting good grades in college ; 6 things you didn't know about grading (but really should) ; 12 ways to get your money's worth out of college ; The college student's bill of rights
- 2. In the beginning : 7 things to do the summer before college ; 15 things to do the week before college ; Do's and don'ts for picking your courses ; No room at the inn? What to do when you're closed out of a course ; 10 questions to ask yourself the first week of classes ; Warning! Bad professor ahead
- 3. Skills 3.0 : Top 10 time-management tips ; Why it's never good to procrastinate ; The how not to study guide ; 10 secrets of taking excellent lecture notes ; 15 ways to read like a pro ; 15 strategies for painless presentations ; Running scared? How to build your confidence
- 4. Forced labor : 10 ways to whip the freshman comp requirement ; 10 tips for taming the math requirement ; Top 10 tips for mastering the foreign language requirement ; 10 ideas for learning to love the lab ; 10 tips for the first-year experience course ; How to take courses on the 'Net for free
- 5. It's showtime! : 12 tips for A+ test preparation ; "So what's going to be on the test anyway?" ; Top 13 test-taking tips ; 10 tips for writing the perfect paper ; Top 10 ways of making the leap from a B to an A ; 16 Techniques for doing research like a professor
- 6. Partnering with the professor : 15 ways to make your professor love you ; The 15 secrets of going to see the professor ; Etiquette for e-mailing your professor
- 10 surefire ways to piss off your professor ; Top 10 things professors never want to hear (and what they think when they do hear them)
- 7. Emergency 9-1-1 : 10 things to do when you can't keep up with the lecture ; Top 10 signs you've been cutting too many classes ; Bombed the midterm: now what? ; 7 best last-minute strategies for saving your grade ; 10 signs you're in real trouble at college ; What, then, to do? The 7-step approach
- 8. The second half of college : How not to pick a major ; 13 skills you'll need for a career, and how to get them at college ; Top 10 myths about study abroad ; Transfer tips, from community college to 4-year college ; Thinking about grad school? The 10-step program ; 10 tips for finding a job
- 9. The end, and the beginning : Got a tip? Join the community!
- Item content: English
- Includes index.
- xviii, 198 pages ; 23 cm.
- LB2343.32 J35 2010
- 9780470874660 (pbk.)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: