Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Michael S. McPherson and Morton Owen Schapiro
- Sect. I. From High School to College-Raising Expectations and Lowering Financial Burdens
- Increasing College Access and Graduation Among Chicago Public High School Graduates / Melissa Roderick and Jenny Nagaoka
- Financial Aid at Public Flagship Universities / Michael S. McPherson, Morton Owen Schapiro and Francie E. Streich
- What the Gates Millennium Scholars Program Can Tell Us About Success in College / William T. Trent
- Sect. II. What Do We Know About Succeeding in College?
- Questioning Our Assumptions About College Requirements / James E. Rosenbaum and Lisbeth J. Goble
- Measuring College Success: Evidence and Policy Challenges / Sarah E. Turner
- Heterogeneity and Higher Education / Jeffrey A. Smith
- Sect. III. College Success - A Presidential Perspective
- Institutional Perspectives on Student Success / David W. Breneman
- College Success in the Long Arc of Life / Diana Chapman Walsh
- Sect. IV. College Success-Student and Faculty Perspectives
- Ask the Students: A Good Way to Enhance Their Success / Richard J. Light
- What Is Good College Teaching? / Susan L. Engel
- Sect. V. Looking Beyond Material Success
- Assessing the College Contribution to Civic Engagement / Thomas S. Dee
- Conclusion / Michael S. McPherson and Morton Owen Schapiro.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 240 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- LC208.8 .C66 2006
Library of Congress Control Numbers: