Table of Contents:
- Divergent modes of religiosity in West Africa / J.D.Y. Peel
- Modes of religiosity and the legacy of Ernest Gellner / David Shankland
- Is image to doctrine as speech to writing? Modes of communication and the origins of religion / Jack Goody
- Ritual and deference / Maurice Block
- The doctrinal mode and evangelical Christianity in the United States / Brian Malley
- Embedded modes of religiosity in Indic renouncer religions / James Laidlaw
- Conceptualizing from within : divergent religious modes from Asian modernist perspectives / Susan Bayly
- Late medieval Christianity, Balinese Hinduism, and the doctrinal mode of religiosity / Leo Howe
- Religious doctrine or experience : a matter of seeing, learning, or doing / Gilbert Lewis
- Universalistic orientations of an imagistic mode of religiosity : the case of the West African Poro cult / Christian K. Højbjerg
- Toward a comparative anthropology of religion / Harvey Whitehouse.
- Item content: English
- Based on 3 conferences held 2001-2003.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ix, 219 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- BL256 .R59 2004
- 0759106169 (cloth, alk. paper)
0759106177 (pbk., alk. paper)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: