Table of Contents:
- Gult and the state, 1200-1540
- "Man is free; land is tributary"
- Gondär, 1632-1721: order and disorder
- Mentewwab, "how beautiful she is!" 1721-69
- The leadership of Gälawdäwos: family and property in Gondärine Ethiopia: the era of the princes
- Church, land, and society in Gondärine Ethiopia: institutional grants
- Church, land, and society in Gondärine Ethiopia: private transfers
- Gult and the reconstruction of the monarchy, 1868-1910
- Transformations: state, land, and society
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 327-355) and index.
- xv, 373 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- HD979 .C78 2000
- 0252024826 (alk. paper)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: