Table of Contents:
- Prehistory and geography
- Punt, pharaohs and ptolemies, the Aksumite Kingdom, and the coming of Christianity
- The Zagwé Dynasty, Lalibala churches, and the Solomonic "restoration'
- Life in the Middle Ages: contacts with Muslim neighbours and far-off Christians
- Ahmad ibn Ibrahim, Oromo migration, and Ottoman seizure of Massawa
- The move of capital north-west and the Roman Catholic interlude
- The rise and fall of Gondar
- The early nineteenth century and the advent of Téwodros II
- Yohannes, Menilek and the European powers
- Beginnings of modernization: meniled, Iyasu, Zawditu and Haile Sellassie
- Invasion, occupation and liberation
- Restoration and revolution.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -286) and index.
- xiv, 299 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- DT381 .P39 1998
Library of Congress Control Numbers: