No straight lines: the rise of queer comics
Compadre Media Group presents; director & producer, Vivian Kleiman; producer & principal consultant, Justin Hall
- Resource Type:
- Streaming Video
- [Los Angeles, California] : Good Docs, 
|Online Video||Checking availability|
- This film tells the story of five scrappy and pioneering LGBTQ cartoonists- Alison Bechdel, Jennifer Camper, Howard Cruse, Rupert Kinnard, and Mary Wings- who depicted everything from the AIDS crisis, coming out, same-sex marriage, and themes of race, gender, and disability. The film explores how these trailblazing LGBTQ artists resisted censorship and displayed tremendous courage and conviction in providing an uncensored window into queer lives from the 1970s onward, beginning at a time in which there was no other genuine queer storytelling in popular culture. Equally engaging are their personal journeys, as they helped build a queer comics underground that has been able to grow and evolve in remarkable ways-against all odds.
- Kleiman, Vivian, film director, film producer, interviewerHall, Justin, 1971-, film producerBechdel, Alison, 1960-, on-screen participantCamper, Jennifer, 1957-, on-screen participantCruse, Howard, on-screen participantKinnard, Rupert, 1954-, on-screen participantWings, Mary, on-screen participantCompadre Media Group, production companyGood Docs (Firm), distributor
- Language Notes:
- Closed captioning available.
- Featuring Alison Bechdel, Jennifer Camper, Howard Cruse, Rupert Kinnard, Mary Wings.
- Production Credits:
- Edited by Christiane Badgley, Linda Peckham ; director of photography, Andrew Black ; original music, René-Marc Bini ; art director, animator, Suzanne Slatcher.
- General Notes:
- Streaming media.
Digital format: Restricted to the University of North Texas System.
Description based on online resource; title from title frames (Docuseek2, viewed May 31, 2022).
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 video file (79 min.)) : sound, color with black and white sequences
- Audio Characteristics:
- Call Numbers:
- Online Video
- Other Standard Numbers:
- Publisher Number, Docuseek2: gd-nsl
- OCLC Numbers: