- "This collection by trans and non-trans academics and artists from the United States, the UK, continental Europe, and South Africa, examines how transgenderism can be conceptualized in a literary, biographical, and autobiographical framework, with emphasis on intimacy, erotics, agency, and experientiality. The volume covers the 1950s to the present day and examines autobiographical accounts, films featuring passing and various stages of transitioning, as well as interviews with trans people."-- [Provided by publisher]
Table of Contents:
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Place
- 1. On the History of Transsexuals in France / Maxime Foerster
- 2. Marie, Because It Is Beautiful / Marie-Pierre Pruvot
- 3. My Sex Is in My Head / Ludwig Trovato
- pt. II Ethnicity
- 4. Studs, Stems, and Fishy Boys: Adolescent Latino Gender Variance and the Slippery Diagnosis of Transsexuality / Vernon A. Rosarlo
- 5. Kaming Mga Talyada (We Who Are Sexy): The Transsexual Whiteness of Christine Jorgensen in the (Post) Colonial Philippines / Susan Stryker
- pt. III Visibility
- 6. Claiming Space: Transgender Visibility in the Arts / Eveline Kilian
- 7. Transsexual Experiences: Photography, Gender, and the Case of the Emperor's New Clothes / Sara Davidmann
- 8. Politics of Home in Becoming Julia: Transsexual Experience in Australia / David Coad
- 9. Trans Autobiographies as Performative Utterances / John C. Hawley
- 10. Trans Africa: Between Transgendered "Possession" and Transsexuality in South African Experiential Narratives / Chantal Zabus.
- Item content: English
- Includes filmography.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- HQ77.9 .T7157 2014eb
- 9781135135973 (electronic bk.)
1135135975 (electronic bk.)
Other Control Numbers:
- EBC1573271 (source: MiAaPQ)
[Unknown Type]: ybp11412843