- Transgender and Gender Diverse Clients with Mental Disorders: Treatment Issues and Challenges; Key points; Introduction; Transphobia and gender minority stress; Prevalence of mental disorders in gender diverse clients; Psychotic disorders and serious mental illnesses; Resilience; Treatment recommendations; Summary; Treatment of Trauma and Nonsuicidal Self-Injury in Transgender Adults; Key points; Transgender adults and experiences of trauma; Transgender adults and nonsuicidal self-injury; Discussion; Summary.
Table of Contents:
- Title page; Table of Contents; Copyright; Contributors; Forthcoming Issues; Preface; Social Justice and Advocacy for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Clients; Key points; History of the advocacy movement for gender-diverse people; Role of helping professionals; Advocacy recommendations; Summary; Past and Future Challenges Associated with Standards of Care for Gender Transitioning Clients; Key points; Introduction; What are the standards of care?; Challenges with the standards of care over time; Challenges of access to care; Challenges for mental health professionals; Challenges moving forward.
- Affirmative Psychological Testing and Neurocognitive Assessment with Transgender AdultsKey points; Establishing provider competence; Distinguishing mental health symptoms from gender dysphoria; Effects of hormone therapy on mood and cognition; Considerations for general assessment and testing; Evaluation for medical and surgical transition; Summary; Barriers, Challenges, and Decision-Making in the Letter Writing Process for Gender Transition; Key points; Standards of care; The gatekeeping role; Assessment of psychological health; Letter writing guidelines.
- Clinical decision-making and cultural competenceChallenge one: systemic concerns; Challenge two: management of care; Challenge three: co-occurring mental health concerns; Clinical recommendations; Hormonal and Surgical Treatment Options for Transgender Men (Female-to-Male); Key points; Introduction; Sexual and reproductive effects and malignancies; Other systemic effects; Follow-up and screening on hormone replacement therapy; Surgical treatments; Quality of life and psychological well-being with hormone replacement therapy and/or surgical interventions; Summary.
- Hormonal and Surgical Treatment Options for Transgender Women and Transfeminine Spectrum PersonsKey points; Introduction; Hormone therapy; Surgical options; Outcomes; Summary; Working Toward Family Attunement: Family Therapy with Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Children and Adolescents; Key points; Stage one: assessing and increasing family attunement; Stage two: exploring and supporting gender expression/transition options; Summary; Therapeutic Issues with Transgender Elders; Key points; A snapshot of transgender older adults; Research challenges.
- Item content: English
- Description based on: Print version record.
Comparative research findings: transgender and gender nonconforming and lesbian, gay, and bisexual elders.
- 1 online resource (245 pages).
- text file
- RC451.4.G39 C377 2017eb