- "Less than 30% of psychologists report familiarity with transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) clients' needs. The clients, in turn, report a lack of support in their gender journeys. There is clearly a large gap in knowledge, skill, and competence in this area of practice. This clinical guide aims to fill that gap by providing mental health practitioners with an affirmative approach that emphasizes a collaborative partnership guided by client-driven goals. An expert panel of contributors teaches readers strategies for working with a diverse array of TGNC clients, including adolescents, older adults, parents, and people of color. Client factors, including sexual orientation, religious and spiritual beliefs, and traumatic experiences, are also given special attention. Readers will learn how to address the impact of the injustices TGNC people face in everyday life, work with clients' strengths to enhance their resilience and coping skills, and advocate for their rights to obtain mental and physical health services. Readers will also learn how to negotiate complex issues, such as interdisciplinary care, ethical and legal obligations, and gender-affirming surgeries and medications. The chapter authors draw from evidence-based theories and APA's "Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People (PDF, 462KB)" to help readers meet the latest standards of care"--Publicity materials. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved).
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Anneliese A. Singh and lore m. dickey
- Gender and sexual orientation diversity within the TGNC community / Sand C. Chang, Anneliese A. Singh, and Kinton Rossman
- Affirmative counseling with trans/gender-variant people of color / Anneliese A. Singh, Sel J. Hwahng, Sand C. Chang, and Bali White
- TGNC-affirmative interdisciplinary collaborative care / Kelly Ducheny, Michael L. Hendricks, and Colton L. Keo-Meier
- Ethical and legal concerns for mental health professionals / Linda F. Campbell and Gabriel Arkles
- Affirmative care of TGNC children and adolescents / Laura Edwards-Leeper
- Working with TGNC primary caregivers and family concerns across the lifespan / Sand C. Chang, Jessie R. Cohen, and Anneliese A. Singh
- Aging and TGNC identities : working with older adults / lore m. dickey and Kyle L. Bower
- Clinical supervision with TGNC clients in health service psychology / Theodore R. Burnes, Stacie Fishell Rowan, and Parrish L. Paul
- Assessment and treatment of trauma with TGNC clients : a feminist approach / Katherine Richmond, Theodore R. Burnes, Anneliese A. Singh, and Mel Ferrara
- Spirituality, faith, and religion : the TGNC experience / Ruben A. Hopwood and Tarynn M. Witten
- Engaging in TGNC-affirmative research / Jae Sevelius, lore m. dickey, and Anneliese A. Singh
- Advocacy and social justice : the next generation of counseling and psychological practice with transgender and gender-nonconforming clients / lore m. dickey, Anneliese A. Singh, Sand C. Chang, and Mich Rehrig.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource (xv, 274 pages).
- text file
- RC451.4.G39 A335 2017eb
- 9781433823015 (electronic bk.)
1433823012 (electronic bk.)