- "Goes beyond transgender to question the need for gender classification. Beyond Trans pushes the conversation on gender identity to its limits: questioning the need for gender categories in the first place. Whether on birth certificates or college admissions applications or on bathroom doors, why do we need to mark people and places with sex categories? Do they serve a real purpose or are these places and forms just mechanisms of exclusion? Heath Fogg Davis offers an impassioned call to rethink the usefulness of dividing the world into not just Male and Female categories but even additional categories of Transgender and gender fluid. Davis, himself a transgender man, explores the underlying gender-enforcing policies and customs in American life that have led to transgender bathroom bills, college admissions controversies, and more, arguing that it is necessary for our society to take real steps to challenge the assumption that gender matters. He examines four areas where we need to re-think our sex-classification systems: sex-marked identity documents such as birth certificates, driver's licenses and passports; sex-segregated public restrooms; single-sex colleges; and sex-segregated sports. Speaking from his own experience and drawing upon major cases of sex discrimination in the news and in the courts, Davis presents a persuasive case for challenging how individuals are classified according to sex and offers concrete recommendations for alleviating sex identity discrimination and sex-based disadvantage."--Provided by publisher.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Sex stickers
- The sex markers we carry: sex-marked identity documents
- Bathroom bouncers: sex-segregated restrooms
- Checking a sex box to get into college: single-sex admissions
- Seeing sex in the body: sex-segregated sports
- Conclusion: silence on the bus
- Appendix: The gender audit: a how-to guide for organizations.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 167-175) and index.
Description based on: Print version record.
- 1 online resource (vii, 184 pages) : illustrations
- text file
- HQ77.95.U6 D39 2017eb
- 9781479875993 (electronic bk.)
1479875996 (electronic bk.)
9781479824120 (electronic bk.)
1479824127 (electronic bk.)
9781479855407 (cl, alk. paper) [Invalid]
1479855405 (cl, alk. paper) [Invalid]
Library of Congress Control Numbers:
- 2017003478 [Invalid]