- "In Normal Life Dean Spade presents revelatory critiques of the legal equality framework for social change and points to examples of transformative grassroots trans activism that are raising demands that go beyond traditional civil rights reforms. Spade explodes the assumptions about what legal rights can do for marginalized populations and describes transformative resistance processes and formations that address the root causes of harm and violence. Setting forth a politic that goes beyond the quest for mere legal inclusion, Normal Life is an urgent call for justice and trans liberation, and the radical transformations it will require"-- Back cover.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : rights, movements, and critical trans politics
- Trans law and politics on a neoliberal landscape
- What's wrong with rights?
- Rethinking transphobia and power : beyond a rights framework
- Administrating gender
- Law reform and movement building
- Conclusion: "this is a protest, not a parade".
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Ipswich, MA Available via World Wide Web.
Description based on print version record.
- 1 online resource.
- KF4754.5 .S63 2015
- 082237479X (electronic bk.)
9780822374794 (electronic bk.)
9780822359890 (hardcover, alk. paper) [Invalid]
0822359898 (hardcover, alk. paper) [Invalid]
9780822360407 (pbk., alk. paper) [Invalid]
0822360403 (pbk., alk. paper) [Invalid]
Other Control Numbers:
- 1030202 (source: EbpS)
[Unknown Type]: ybp12356082