- The United States is obsessed with virginity from the media to schools to government agencies. The Purity Myth is an important and timely critique of about why this is so, and why it's problematic for girls and women. Analyzing cultural stereotypes and media messages, Jessica Valenti reveals the overt and hidden ways our society links a woman's worth to her sexuality rather than to values like honesty, kindness, and altruism. With intelligence and wit, this film exposes the legal and social punishments that women who dare to have sex endure, while presenting a powerful argument that valuing girls and women for their sexuality needs to stop.
Table of Contents:
- Classroom chastity
- Ethics of passivity
- Forever young
- Legislating chastity.
- In English; Optional English subtitles.
- DVD; Region 0 (All), NTSC; Dolby digital stereo; aspect ratio 16:9.
- Narrator, Jessica Valenti.
- Edited by Jason Young ; media research, Scott Morris ; camera, David Rabinovitz.
- Based on the book: The purity myth: how America's obsession with virginity is hurting young women / Jessica Valenti.
Public performance rights included.
Special features: More from MEF [previews] (17 min.).
- 1 videodisc (45 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- plastic; metal; polychrome
- digital; optical
- video file; DVD video; all regions
- PUR 2011 DVD
Other Standard Numbers:
- Universal Product Code: 897952001441