- Taqwacore chronicles the nascent Muslim punk rock movement in America. It was inspired by the work of Michael Knight, a convert to Islam who wrote the novel The Taqwacores (a term combining the Muslim concept of God consciousness with hardcore punk). The film follows Knight and a variety of young Muslim musicians on tour through the U.S. before bringing their music to Lahore, breaking taboos along the way-- from staging a lesbian thrash act at an Islamic convention to stomping on the American flag, or as Knight explains, giving the finger to both sides. Taqwacore charts their attempts to navigate the gap between their cultures and their countries, their religion and their individuality.
- In English, Punjabi, Arabic, and Urdu with English subtitles.
- DVD; NTSC; region 0.
- Featuring Michael Muhammad Knight, Basim Usmani, Shahjehan Khan, and others.
- Written and directed by Omar Majeed ; produced by Mila Aung-Thwin ; co-producer, Bob Moore ; cinematography, Zacharie Fay, Mark Ellam ; editing, Omar Majeed, Maxime Chalifoux ; sound supervisor, Cory Rizos ; original score composed by Omar Waqar.
- DVD release of the 2009 motion picture.
Includes Public performance rights included.
- 1 videodisc (82 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- plastic; metal; polychrome
- digital; optical
- video file; DVD video; all regions
- DVD 12227
Other Standard Numbers:
- Publisher Number, Lorber Films: LF-DVD-61