Table of Contents:
- 1. Defining modern Chinese culture / Kam Louie
- 2. Social and political developments: the making of the twentieth-century Chinese state / Peter Zarrow
- 3. Historical consciousness and national identity / Prasenjit Duara
- 4. Gender in modern Chinese culture / Harriet Evans
- 5. Ethnicity and Chinese identity: ethnographic insight and political positioning / William Jankowiak
- 6. Flag, flame and embers: diaspora cultures / Wang Gungwu
- 7. Modernizing Confucianism and 'new Confucianism' / Sor-Hoon Tan
- 8. Socialism in China: a historical overview / Arif Dirlik
- 9. Chinese religious traditions from 1900-2005: an overview / Daniel L. Overmyer
- 10. Languages in a modernizing China / Ping Chen
- 11. The revolutionary tradition in modern Chinese literature / Charles Laughlin
- 12. The involutionary tradition in modern Chinese literature / Michel Hockx
- 13. Music and performing arts: tradition, reform and political and social relevance / Colin Mackerras
- 14. Revolutions in vision: Chinese art and the experience of modernity / David Clarke
- 15. Cinema: from foreign import to global brand / Chris Berry
- 16. Media boom and cyber culture: television and the Internet in China / Liu Kang
- 17. Physical culture, sports and the Olympics / Susan Brownell.
- Item content: English
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- xx, 400 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- DS775.2 .C452424 2008
- 9780521863223 (hbk.)
Library of Congress Control Numbers: